May is Mrs Elisha, the lady who spent almost 60 years as teacher and supply teacher at Market Lavington School and on into St Barnabas, the new school built when the two village schools of Market Lavington and Easterton closed.
This uncaptioned photo we have certainly dates from pre World War II. It shows May – full name Helena May Elisha – sitting on a chicken run.
May was born on 11th August 1903 as ‘Miss Potter’. She married Bill Elisha in 1929. We guess this photo was taken soon after the marriage.
It’s a lovely homely sort of shot with May holding the dog that she and Bill had at the time. The couple clearly took a photo of each other.
Here is Bill in the almost identical location.
Incidentally, it is Bill that the Elisha Field is named after, Both he and May were much involved in village life but it was Bill who had a stint as chairman of the Parish Council and he was also passionate about local football.
The couple had no children which may explain why we have a goodly collection of Elisha memorabilia in the museum.