Actually this sketch shows what was then the brand new vicarage in 1848. Most of our sketches by Philip Wynell Mayow were drawn in about 1837. This one came from the same sketchbook so we think it is by the same person but it is stylistically different. It shows that brand new Vicarage which Philip Wynell Mayow’s brother – the Reverend Mayow Wynell Mayow had moved into. He had been vicar for over ten years by then and we are not 100% sure where he lived before. The tithe map of 1840 tells us he had property at the same place.
But let’s see the sketch first.
This building still exists, incorporated into the Nursing Home in the village. Back in 1848 it was a country house deemed suitable for a gentleman vicar.
Here is the relevant tithe apportionment.
We can see that our Vicar at the time held plot 76, the church and yard and plots 123,124,126 and also 149.
Plot 123, the Vicarage house and garden, is just where the new building was erected so presumably Wynell lived there and had a temporary sojourn elsewhere whilst the new house was built.
Another lovely image showing Market Lavington before photography.