A Market Lavington Rabbit

June 2, 2019
rabbit

A new addition to our Arcadian China collection

At Market Lavington museum there is a little collection of Arcadian ware – white china models of various shapes and sizes. Arcadian ware trinkets were particularly popular in the early 20th century, many being sold as seaside souvenirs, being less expensive to buy than Goss badged china.

We have a WWI cannon, a frog, an armchair, an Irish kettle (cauldron) and a tambourine, amongst others. Ours are marked with a Market Lavington design, showing St Mary’s church and the name of our village.

rabbit badge

The rabbit is badged for Market Lavington

The underside of  some of our models show that they were produced by the Stoke on Trent factory especially for the local photographer, Alfred Burgess, who had a shop and photographic studio at 13 High Street in Market Lavington, near to the Co-op.

rabbit underside

Information stamped on the underside of the rabbit

Alfred Burgess died in 1918, but he and his wife Marion had several children and the business carried on as Burgess Brothers until after WWII, with Robin taking photographs and George working in the darkroom.

 

A Victorian Wicker Basket

May 27, 2019

In the late nineteenth century, many young people found work in service in more well to do households. These posts often involved living in the servants’ quarters of the employer’s home, which was sometimes at quite a distance from the servant’s own home.

In Market Lavington Museum, we have wicker baskets, which were used by a maid for storing her clothes when travelling and whilst living away from home.

Servant basket

Victorian servant’s basket

This is half of a two part basket set. A similar, but slightly larger, basket forms the lid. The donor of our baskets informed us that, when girls left service to marry, their basket might be used as a baby’s bed.

1870s cape and gown

Baby boy’s clothes – 1870s

So, our 2019 display at the museum has the ‘baby boy’ wearing a white cotton piqué dress and cape, used locally by the Colman family in the 1870s.

 

 

 

 

 

The Drummer Boy Pub Sign

May 4, 2019

Over the years, Market Lavington’s tally of public houses has dwindled, with only The Green Dragon still in operation. The Bell Inn, The Lamb  and The Brewery Tap are ancient history, whilst  The Volunteer Arms (formerly The Angel) closed in the 1980s and the King’s Arms in 2009. The last pub to close was The Drummer Boy, at 25 Church Street, as recently as 2015. At the time of writing, it is empty and about to be converted into two homes, with another one to be built behind.

At the museum, we have not been able to acquire any Wadworth’s pub signs but

Drummer boy words

was a Free House and the new owners kindly agreed to give its sign to us. It arrived this week and needs some tlc and cleaning before we consider how to mount it for display.

Drummer Boy sign snip

The Drummer Boy pub sign

It is but the latest of several signs at the pub. A different picture of the drummer hung there in the 1970s and, formerly, the pub was known as The New Inn, but had to change name when it no longer offered accommodation and so was not an inn.

We look forward to this new artefact joining our many new 2019 displays later in the year.

A memory of the Drummer Boy 

Drummer Boy memories

The Drummer Boy Pub

Hopkins and the New Inn

 

A well bucket

April 8, 2019
April 8th 2019

In 2018, one of our museum displays featured domestic life before the local villages were connected to mains services. A piped water supply came to Market Lavington in 1936. Before that, water would have been brought from a well in the garden or carried in buckets from the pump at Broadwell or the dipping well at Northbrook. Easterton,too, had  a pump by its stream at the road junction next to Halstead Farm.

The village centres were close to such sources of water but, up on the chalk and sandstone hills, deep wells were needed. The well at Homestead Farm, on Drove Lane, is about 90 feet (or 27 metres) deep.

Homestead Farm well

Homestead Farm well

A recent gift to the museum is a galvanised well bucket, found by a local resident in a hedge in Market Lavington. A rope would have been attached to the loop in the handle and its sloping sides were designed to reduce spillage as the bucket was hoisted up and carried home. This delightful reminder of times past is now in the museum kitchen.

Well bucket

Well bucket

We are preparing many new displays in the museum at present, ready for the 2019 season. We hope you will enjoy them when you visit.

You will find the museum in the old Schoolmaster’s Cottage in St Mary’s churchyard, Market Lavington. Our volunteer stewards will be there to welcome you from 2.30 – 4.30 pm on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 1st May to the end of October. Admission is free. Donations towards our running costs are welcome!

Meanwhile, spare a thought for the old well bucket users when you turn on your tap!

 

 

 

Christmas 1916

December 25, 2016

This was the third Christmas of the First World War. People on both sides of the war were away from home, suffering hardships, injury and of course, in some cases, death. By the middle of 1916 conscription into the armed forces had been introduced. Presumably there were no longer enough volunteers.

Back at home people did what they could to help. In the Lavingtons Bert Shore was one of many in the Over-Seas Club and he was awarded this certificate which said A HAPPY XMAS in words and semaphore.

Over Seas Club Christmas 1916 certificate for Bert Shore

Over Seas Club Christmas 1916 certificate for Bert Shore

Bert had helped to send some Comfort and Happiness to the men in the forces.

A charabanc at Salisbury

September 21, 2016

Charabancs at Salisbury are a frequent theme. Photographers saw a golden opportunity to turn a profit since photographed passengers were likely to buy a print. We do not always know much about them and this one is just captioned 1923.

A charabanc in Salisbury - 1923

A charabanc in Salisbury – 1923

Because this formed a part of the Peggy Gye collection we assume it is a Market Lavington charabanc, probably belonging to Mr Sayer’s company. But we are not certain.

Signed Whitworth of Salisbury

Signed Whitworth of Salisbury

We know the photographer was Whitworth of Salisbury – Harold Whitworth. But we don’t recognise the people on board so over to you.

image004

image005

We quite hope there is enough detail there for the vehicle to be recognised as well.

image006

A bell pull direction changer

September 20, 2016

We are, once again, back to that favourite of Market Lavington Museum – a found under the floorboards item. Like several other items this was found at 21 Church Street which was once the HQ of the Hopkins building and ironmongery business. This item may have been part of a shop bell system or it could have had a purely domestic function.

This is the object.

Victorian pell pull direction changer found at 21 Church Street

Victorian bell pull direction changer found at 21 Church Street

The pull string or wire would have been attached to the right hand end. It could have had a vertical or horizontal pull. The wings are heavily sprung which would have pulled them back to this position after a pull. The top of the object has a moderate cover of white paint. It was almost certainly made with a screw end above the white plate but a builder has removed this from its fixing by sawing through that. It is visible as a central steel core in the middle of the brass work.

The fixing screw has been sawn off!

The fixing screw has been sawn off!

It stands to almost certain reason that the final bell would not be in line with the pull, so a wire would work its way to the bell, using pulleys or devices similar to this one (but probably unsprung) to negotiate corners.

We are fairly sure this is Victorian – probably late Victorian but it is possible to buy similar systems today.

We’d like to thank Bob for finding and donating this fascinating and clever piece of bell system engineering.

Brickworks memories by Mrs Elisha written 1977

September 19, 2016

Good memories are a real source of knowledge and understanding. Here we have memories written down by Mrs Elisha in about 1977. Her memories date back and mention of the Central Flying School probably dates that to the time of World War One. Mrs Elisha, or Helena May Potter as she was, was born in 1903 and became the infant teacher at Market Lavington School in the 1920s. Even in 1977 she was still doing bits of supply teaching at the school – by then St Barnabas School on Drove Lane. These memories are about the brickworks and clearly are a response to a request for information which came from Peggy Gye.

Here’s an extract and below we have an abbreviated transcript.

Brickworks memories by Mrs Elisha

Brickworks memories by Mrs Elisha

Mr Merritt, my neighbour in Park Road, tells me you are interested in the history of Lavington Brick and Tile works. I can remember an amount having lived here for 74 years. It was owned by a Thomas Holloway of London, his country home being the Manor House, West Lavington. A good standard of clay was worked from there. The workers were almost on slave labour.

The manager was Mr George who lived in the house there with his wife and six children. There were also five cottages belonging there which housed workers who were always there to see to the kilns. Mr Grey with wife and son, Mr and Mrs Davidge with 3 boys and 2 girls, Mr and Mrs Plank with 3 boys and 3 girls. These cottages had 2 bedrooms and were in poor condition.

Hundreds of bricks were made there – handmade ones too. A big traction engine driven by Mr G Brown of West Lavington hauled 3 big trailer loads. Every other day for a long time the engine hauled its 3 loads of bricks to Upavon which was then called Upavon Central Flying School. The buildings can be plainly seen built with these bricks. Additions have been made. The engine was powerful but often had to do a shuttle service on steep hills returning to the village about 6pm ready to use next day for loading.

Fancy flower pots were made there and a few remain in the village.

None of the old workers are alive today. G Davidge, 70+, of one of the cottages lives at Spin Hill and Bertha Plank (Baker), 80+ lives at Parsonage Lane.

A Sunday School Treat in 1921

September 18, 2016

This event took place 95 years ago and could just remain in the memory of a centenarian. For others it represents a past and very different age. In fact it is hard to imagine what life was like 95 years ago. This was six years before electricity came to Market Lavington – there were none of those electrical items we take for granted these days. These are things like refrigerators, vacuum cleaners and washing machines, not to mention radio, TV and all the countless electronic gadgets we rely on now. Life must have been simpler and slower but probably no less happy. It just meant that events like a Sunday School Treat were much looked forward to, hugely enjoyed and became something to talk about afterwards.

We have here a news cutting about the treat in 1921 which, for the first time, saw church and chapel unite to provide one joint treat.

image002 It comes from the Wiltshire Advertiser for August 25th 1921.

image004

Transcript below.

United Sunday School treat. – Yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon the scholars attending the Market Lavington Congregational Sunday School and the Church Sunday School held their united Sunday School tea and sports. Some 200 children assembled at the top of the village at three o’clock and, headed by the Market Lavington Brass Band marched to the Drill Barn where a sumptuous tea was provided, to which the children did full justice. After the wants of the younger generation had been supplied, the parents and friends of the children sat down to tea, A vote of thanks was accorded Miss Bouverie for the loan of the barn, and to the many friends who had helped make the tea a success, and the company adjourned to one of Mr Walton’s fields where sports took place many novelty races being included in the programme. Football, cricket etc. were also much enjoyed and swings had been erected on the trees for the younger children.

This united Sunday School treat was an innovation and the success which attended the first venture fully justifies carrying out the treat on similar lines in the future.

Amongst the workers who made the function such a success were the Rev. J. A. Sturton, Mr Peters (pastor of the Congregational Church), Mr G. Pike, Mr G. Price, Mr V. Osmond, and Mr H. Merritt, Miss L Pike, Mrs G Davis, Mrs Burbidge, Mrs Eldin, Mrs Elisha, Miss Curtis, Mrs Potter, Mrs Giddings, Miss Gale, Miss B. Pike, Mrs Smith, Miss Wiffen, Mrs B Cooper, Mrs S Hopkins, Miss D. Draper and Mrs Price

Annie Merritt – but where?

September 17, 2016

This little photo has a very basic caption on the back.

image002

Annie Merritt, unknown and Mrs Tucker – but where?

The caption tells us that Annie Merritt is on the left and Mrs Tucker on the right. The younger lady in the middle is not known

Annie was the wife of John Hampton Merritt, well known in the village as the bandmaster. They ran the cycle store on Church Street and had married back in 1890. Annie had been a Devizes lass – Annie Louisa Wiltshire. We guess the photo dates from the 1920s.

We think Mrs Tucker was Minnie Tucker of White Street in Market Lavington but we can’t be certain of that.

And as to the location – we have no idea. Maybe someone out in blogland can help us.