Posts Tagged ‘1840’

West Lavington Poor Rate Survey

April 9, 2016

image002

Now why do we have this elderly looking book- it dates from 1840 – about West Lavington? The answer is simple. Back at the time this book was produced the parish of West Lavington contained areas later transferred into Market Lavington. The main area was the one called Fiddington.

This book contains information about who owned what and who lived where in Fiddington.

Here’s a sample.

A sample list of plots and properties

A sample list of plots and properties

This section is all lumped together because it all belonged to one person and was occupied by one person. We can see the size of each plot and the total and the estimated rental value and rateable value are given. Across the double spread page we get the people concerned.

This tells us that this area was owned by William Davis and occupied by John Hayward at that time.

But just where is it all? Along with the book there is a map of the tithing of Fiddington and each plot is numbered. Our map has been annotated by an earlier owner so has the names of each plot pencilled on. So here we see a section of the map which is a long thin map to reflect the shape of Fiddington.

A small section of the associated tithe map

A small section of the associated tithe map

We can easily pick out plot 760 Dr Batter’s Hill which is the first plot named in the above extract. The whole map makes locations clear.

So a handy document which names each field. Potential visitors interested in more of West Lavington should note that we do not have the map but we have the values and occupiers of the properties.

Cumming’s Garden

January 13, 2016

From time to time the name Cummings crops up on this blog and here it is again, courtesy of a plot of land which was owned, in 1840, by the Right Hon. William Pleydell, Earl and in the possession of Thomas Fowle as shown on the tithe apportionment document.

Land owner and occupier

Land owner and occupier

The plot of land, along with others is listed below this.

These plots include Cumming's Garden

These plots include Cumming’s Garden

There we can see that plot 229 was known as Cumming’s Garden and it was just that = garden. The 229 refers to a numbered area on the tithe map so we can identify just where it was.

Plot 229 on the tithe map

Plot 229 on the tithe map

There we have plot 229 close by a house, but a little bit of large scale map like that doesn’t help much. So let’s zoom out.

A larger area to identify the location

A larger area to identify the location

The route going roughly North – South on the left of the map is what we now call Ledge Hill. The roughly East – West route is Kings Road it is crossed by what is now just a footpath known as Windmill Lane. The house we see is The Cherry Orchard – still there, but much enlarged.

Zooming out further we can see High Street and Church Street at the bottom of the map. Cherry Orchard is still visible near the top.

Cumming's Garden in relation to the centre of Market Lavington

Cumming’s Garden in relation to the centre of Market Lavington

What this doesn’t answer is who Cummings was. Maybe somebody out there can help. This is one of those occasions where the loss of our 1841 census really hurts us.

James Gye

September 7, 2014

 

The Gyes have, for many a year, been a part of village life in Market Lavington but actually, when James was born in 1840, he was born in the parish of West Lavington. He became a Market Lavington man when parish boundaries were reorganised and the area known as Fiddington was transferred to Market Lavington.

We have an old and rather fragile photo album of Gye family members. It is not usually on display but do feel free to ask to see it.

Photo album inscription

Photo album inscription

It was given to S Gye by Ada D’Albertausne

The first photo in the album is of Sarah Gye. Maybe she was the recipient.

However, here we see a picture of James that graces a page of this album.

James Gye of Market Lavington - 1840 to 1900

James Gye of Market Lavington – 1840 to 1900

This photo is cabinet sized and as we can see it slots into a frame within the album.

The writing which gives names and dates is a later addition and whilst we believe it tells us the truth, we cannot be certain.

Let’s zoom in on this fine Victorian gentleman.

image005

There’s James whose grandson still lives in the village.

Grandson, like grandfather, was a carpenter.

We find James on the 1851 census living with his parents, William and Sophia. William farmed 50 acres at Fiddington and was born in Market Lavington. Sophia had been born in Easterton.

By 1871 James had become a carpenter and was married to Mary Ann. They lived on Stobbarts Road and already had four daughters.

In 1881 the family lived at Fiddington Clay. A couple of boys had been born and five children still lived at home.

By 1891 the Gyes had moved to White Street and, no doubt, had the yard now known as Gye’s Old Yard.

And despite the photo caption, James died in 1900. Mary Ann, his widow lived until 1919. Both are buried in Market Lavington churchyard.

The Reverend Mayow Wynell Mayow

June 29, 2014

We met this gentleman yesterday in connection with a letter he wrote regarding a family emigrating from Market Lavington to Australia. With the name drawn to our attention, let’s find out some more starting with the list of vicars just inside the church.

The most recent Vicars at Market Lavington. The list is in the church.

The most recent Vicars at Market Lavington. The list is in the church.

We can see he was vicar between 1836 and 1860 – a run of 24 years.

In seeking information we come up with that regular snag. The 1841 census for Market Lavington has not survived. However, we have a copy of the tithe apportionment which was drawn up in 1840 and we can find Mayow listed on that.

A section of the 1840 tithe apportionment document

A section of the 1840 tithe apportionment document

From this we see that our Mayow occupied the church and yard himself, along with the Vicarage house and garden, a barn and yard and the Vicarage meadow as well as an area called The Brow. Other parts of his glebe lands had tenants in occupation.

Now the numbers refer to an area shown on a map. We do not have a map at the museum, but we have photographed the one at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

The centre of Market Lavington on the 1840 tithe map

The centre of Market Lavington on the 1840 tithe map

This part of what is a huge map shows the centre of Market Lavington. Plot 76, the church and yard is easily found for the church is a large building shaded in grey. The Vicarage shown (number 123) is now a part of the Nursing Home and is near the right hand end of this piece of map. It has plot 124, the barn and yard next to it and the Vicarage meadow (126) behind it stretching away to the Northbrook Stream. The Brow is an area behind that, rising up onto the sandstone slope above the Northbrook.

So from the 1840s we know where Mayow Wynell Mayow lived but we know nothing about him or his family.

Fortunately, there is an 1851 census. This shows Mayow as Vicar of Market (or East) Lavington. He had been born in London in about 1811 and had married, locally, Caroline Kate Smith who had been born around 1825 in Oxfordshire. The couple married in 1846. By 1851 they had three children, Elizabeth Ursula was three, Philip Stafford was two and the young Mayow Wynell was one.

The Reverend Mayow left Market Lavington. In 1861 there were three more children, all born in Market Lavington, but the family were in Kensington. In 1871 four children were at home, which was now Brighton, although Mayow was rector of South Heighton and Tarring Neville – both near Newhaven in Sussex.

In 1881 the family had moved to Halstead in Kent. Mayow, now about 70 was still the rector in that Kent village.

In 1891 Mayow seems to be alone, living in the Southampton area. He died in that area in 1894.

Interestingly, Caroline who seemed to drop off the radar can be found in Rowde near Devizes in 1911. The actual address is Braeside, Devizes. Her widowed daughter, Market Lavington born Elizabeth Ursula is with her.

Caroline died in 1912.

Tithe Apportionment

August 30, 2013

This substantial document was recently acquired by the museum. The local church had needed to know about past charges and tithes and so obtained a copy which has now been passed to us.

  1. Preamble to the tithe apportionment document for Market Lavington

    Preamble to the tithe apportionment document for Market Lavington

It lists all the owners and occupiers of property in 1840 with information about how former tithes were being converted to other forms of payment.

It is a useful document for us because there is no 1841 census for Market Lavington. This new acquisition doesn’t give even the limited genealogical information of the 1841 census, but it does have a list of people which just might help to fill gaps in knowledge.

The lists look like this.

One page of names - owners and occupiers of property in Market Lavington in 1840.

One page of names – owners and occupiers of property in Market Lavington in 1840.

The right hand half is to do with the cash value of properties. The left hand side has the name of the owner, then the occupier, then a number to indicate a location, a description of the property and its state of cultivation. It is this left hand side that will be readily available in the museum with the whole document usable on request.

Names include William Cambridge apparently owning and occupying two cottages and gardens.

Names include William Cambridge apparently owning and occupying two cottages and gardens.

This is just a part of one of the 18 pages of names. We have chosen it here because it has the name ‘William Cambridge’ who we rate as one of our more famous villagers. Without an 1841 census we have had no official record of him until now, but there he is seemingly occupying two houses and gardens himself. Of course, he had a family and a workshop.

We are delighted to have this addition to our genealogy knowledge. We hope to acquire a readable sized tithe map. Then the numbers given as the location of properties will  be identifiable locations.