Posts Tagged ‘1860s’

Random acts of kindness

December 24, 2014

In truth we get many acts of kindness at Market Lavington Museum. I could start with well over 7000 items, all of which have been given. But most of these gifts have not been entirely random. They have been made by people with a close interest in our parishes.

But just sometimes, things arrive from out of the blue. One, recently, was Lady Warrington’s Mothers’ Union certificate.

Sometimes, people do random acts of work for us as well and we have received information from a genealogist as a follow up to our post about Sergeant Tarrant – a Daguerreotype photograph.

John has looked up the military record of a James Tarrant of Market Lavington. The conclusion he comes to, and we come to, is that it is not the man in the photo, but nonetheless it makes for fascinating information.

James Tarrant enlistment papers - 1860

James Tarrant enlistment papers – 1860

 

We can see, from this enlistment paper that James Tarrant of Market Lavington was 18 when he joined up on 23rd May 1860. His bounty was two pounds and his kit.

Enlistment papers give a brief description of the person.

image004

A description of James Tarrant of Market Lavington

 

So we get a little picture of James who was 5 feet 4¾ inches tall with light complexion, hazel eyes and light brown hair. The height was about average for that time.

James joined the 62nd regiment of foot and enlisted for ten years. He was clearly of good conduct and never appeared in the defaulter’s book. He remained a Private throughout his military service.

In fact he served only about nine years and was released from service in 1869. The discharge papers say he was returning to Market Lavington but in 1871 he was a shop porter in Bath. We think he died, still a young man, in 1879.

We’d like to thank John for this real act of random kindness (not his first). We do always like to learn a little more about our local people, what they did and how they lived.

And of course, James may be related to Sergeant Tarrant as seen in the Daguerreotype.

A plinth brick

November 2, 2014

Our museum at Market Lavington is now officially closed for the winter. We’ll be dismantling 2014 displays and preparing those for 2015. But if you are coming to the area and want to visit then please contact us and we’ll try to arrange it but the visit will be on an ‘as you find it’ basis.

And frequent visits with careful looking always seem to reveal something different. Take this brick, for example, which has been on display in our trades room for years, without really being noticed although it is a lovely item.

Market Lavington made plinth brick from the 1860s

Market Lavington made plinth brick from the 1860s

What a great item and here’s an end view to make the cross section clear.

How do you make a brick with a hollow section?

How do you make a brick with a hollow section?

This brick dates from the building of Market Lavington Manor in the 1860s. The brick was made by Edward Box’s company – the brickworks in Market Lavington and has the Box name several times on the underside.

The brick was made by Edward Box's company

The brick was made by Edward Box’s company

We wonder if there is a brick expert out there who could explain how a brick like this is actually made.

A Multi Tool

December 10, 2013

These days we are used to ‘multi tools’. You know the kind of thing; there’s a handle and all sorts of items you can fasten into it so that different jobs can be done – sawing, cutting, drilling, or driving screws for example.

It may seem like a modern idea, but at Market Lavington Museum we have one from 150 years ago.

Here is the tool with an elegant (and very comfortable) wooden handle holding a countersink bit.

An 1860s multi tool at Market Lavington Museum

An 1860s multi tool at Market Lavington Museum

A quick turn of the ‘butterfly’ releases that bit.

image004

The handle opens.

image006 And inside it there are several tools.

image008

Here, for example, is a saw blade.

image010

This wonderful tool belonged to the Shore family and really does date from around 1860. One of the Shore family worked as a jobbing carpenter, but this became part of the collection of household tools belonging to Bert Shore. Bert was the man who married Flo Burbidge who was born in our museum building back in 1908.

 

An old bread oven

May 14, 2013

We’d better start by saying this is not the best photo we have in the museum. It was taken in the 1969 when some clearance work was going on in an area known as The Plantation at the foot of Lavington Hill. An old oven was uncovered in a chalky cliff.

An old bread oven unearthed on White Street, Market Lavington

An old bread oven unearthed on White Street, Market Lavington

Taking photos of chalk in sunshine is always awkward. Chalk is so – well – white!

Let’s zoom in.

image004

Bread oven – White Street, Market Lavington. It dates from before 1865

There we see the oven.

The real interest is its antiquity. The cottages here – and a bread oven must have belonged to one of them – were demolished in 1865. This oven remained hidden for 100 years.

Sad to say, we do not know what became of it.

Philip Draper and Jane Oram

May 12, 2013

Cohabiting may be thought to be something new, but Philip Draper and Jane Oram lived together as man and wife way back in the mid-19th century. Just why they didn’t marry we don’t know, but this extract from Philip’s will makes it clear that Jane was his ‘reputed’ wife and he treated her right by leaving his worldly wealth to her.

Extract of the will of Philip Draper of Easterton

Extract of the will of Philip Draper of Easterton

Philip was born around 1816. His parents were John and Mary and he was baptised at Market Lavington Church on June 3rd. This was well before Easterton was a separate parish.

Jane Oram was born around 1823 in Wilsford where her father, John, was a smith and her mother was Mary. She was at home with her parents for the 1841 census.

Sadly, with no 1841 census for Philip, our next record is the 1851 census. Philip was living with Jane (known as) Draper and two young children in Easterton. Philip was a baker and grocer.

In 1861 the family were in West Lavington with Philip still a grocer and baker.

The will extract tells us that Philip died in 1867 and in 1871 we find Jane (still calling herself) Draper as the landlady at The Kings Arms in Market Lavington.

In 1881 she was a retired innkeeper and her daughter Agnes (registered as a Draper) was a general shop keeper. They lived in Easterton.

We haven’t traced a death for Jane but we don’t find her on the 1891 census.

Known children of Philip and Jane are:

Alfred born 1849
Emma born 1851
Mary born 1853
Agnes born 1855
John born 1858

Of course, we’d love any further information on this family who we know also owned odd bits of land in the Lavington area.

Pepper Pots

March 18, 2013

At Market Lavington museum we don’t have just any old pepper pots. Like everything else we have, our pepper pots must have a close connection with our parish, past and present. So this includes all of Easterton, Fiddington, the Russell Mill area and even the small area up on Salisbury Plain known as Gore. All these places have, either historically or now, been a part of Market Lavington.

However, the pepper pots we’ll look at today go to the heart of the village, being 100% associated with a building on High Street. This is the Workman’s’ Hall. This hall was built in 1865 as a temperance hall. Folks could use it for eating, entertainment, education and drinking non-alcoholic beverages. The hall had its own crockery, some of which we have seen before on this blog. Here are our pepper pots.

Workman's Hall pepper pots at Market Lavington Museum

Workman’s Hall pepper pots at Market Lavington Museum

These pots, as can be seen, are not in perfect shape and they look capable of delivering enough pepper to cause a mass sneeze! They carry the messages ‘Workman’s Hall’ and ‘Lavington 1865’.

They make a jaunty pair, displayed in our kitchen along with much more of the crockery from the Workman’s Hall

William Willis lived here

December 18, 2012

William was born in Poulshot in about 1811. It was in this old Northbrook cottage that he lived with wife, Eliza, and their family.

William Willis once lived in this old cottage on Northbrook, Market Lavington. The photo was taken in about 1910.

William Willis once lived in this old cottage on Northbrook, Market Lavington. The photo was taken in about 1910.

His wife had been Miss Eliza Dark and they married on 25th October 1832. Eliza was a Market Lavington lass, the daughter of Moses and Martha.

The 1841 census is missing for Market Lavington but in 1851 the family consisted of 40 year old William – a pauper, his wife Eliza and three children. Ann was 13, James was 11 (and employed as a farm labourer) and John was 9.

In 1861 William was a widower and working as an agricultural labourer. The same three children were at home with him with both young men being agricultural labourers.

We think William had probably died by 1871.

It’s thought that the picture of his old cottage dates from about 1910. No trace of it remains today.