Posts Tagged ‘1930’

Willoughbys for sale

April 18, 2016

Back in 1930 the house we know as Willoughbys on White Street in Easterton was up for auction complete with a bit of a legend. Seemingly it was called The Old House then.

Auction description for The Old House (Willoughbys) in Easterton

Auction description for The Old House (Willoughbys) in Easterton

Someone has pencilled on to the front of the little brochure that the vendor was Miss Murphy. We know nothing about her. The pages describing the house make lovely reading.

image004

So there’s the legend. It says Oliver Cromwell is said to have stayed and slept in one of the rooms.

image006image008

This is a lovely document about a lovely house which still stands, of course.

Tom steps out to drive

April 7, 2016

As a museum we are devoted to the whole of the parish of Market Lavington, past and present. Inevitably some families and activities get well represented at the museum because people give us things. A family who have always been good to the museum is the Gye family. This means we have quite a lot of material that relates to this particular group who have always been active in the village.

Peggy, of course, founded our museum and her husband Tom and his wide family have always been very helpful to us. And once again, here, we have a photo which features Tom as a youngster.

Tom Gye and John King play cricket in Gye's Yard, Market Lavington

Tom Gye and John King play cricket in Gye’s Yard, Market Lavington

Tom is playing cricket and appears to be stepping down the wicket to play a lofted leg drive.

The equipment is clearly a bit ad hoc and the pitch isn’t quite what you might expect. This is actually the entrance to Gye’s yard with the houses of White Street visible behind. The picture must date from about 1930. 1930 was the year Don Bradman came to England with the Australian team and took the cricket world by storm. Mind you, the England team had heroes a plenty at that time too, what with Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Woolley amongst others.

But here in Market Lavington we had Tom Gye with the bat and behind the wicket we had John King. The wicket itself was a carbide container for making acetylene, according to the photo’s caption.

image004

Now we know about Tom but can anybody add anything about John King?

Three Post Office locations

February 24, 2015

When you move in to a place, be it village or town, you have a sense of timelessness. It seems that things are as they are and as they always have been. But this isn’t always the case. The Post Office in Market Lavington has been in many places and today we are going to look at three locations which all tell us they were (or are still) the Post Office.

The first one we look at was on the corner of the Market Place and High Street.

Market Lavington Post office - 1911

Market Lavington Post Office – 1911

The original postcard had been cropped to fit in a mount and frame and had suffered damage as well so it isn’t the best of photos but on the left we can see the building is labelled Post Office. The decorations allow us to date this photo to 1911. The street was decorated and bedecked with flags for the coronation of George V which took place on 22nd June of that year.

That Post Office occupied the plot which now has the chemist’s shop. It is not the same building. The one shown was demolished by the agricultural engineers to make parking space in about 1960. The building which houses the chemist’s shop dates from around 1990.

Alf Burgess, the photographer has managed, as usual, to bring forth a crowd of people, all hoping to be seen in the photo. We believe he spent some time organising them into apparently random groups.

Other points to note include the full width porch at the front of the Green Dragon – which had once been the posting house for Market Lavington itself and, of course, the fact that back in 1911 the street belonged to people rather than to vehicles.

Our next location for the Post Office is next to what is now Gemini hairdressers – almost on the corner of White Street.

Market Lavington P{ost Office - ca 1930

Market Lavington Post Office – ca 1930

We have used this photo before on this blog back in 2011. From what we know of the three young ladies – Clara Brown, Ella Ross and Mary Smith – we date the photo to about 1930. This shop which also advertises stationery, postcards and holdfast boots was a part of Arthur Walton’s department store.

Moving on just about 100 years from the first photo we have the Post Office of today and once again we have chosen an occasion celebrating a royal event – in this case the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Market Lavington Post Office - 2012

Market Lavington Post Office – 2012

This is an example of village life evolving and changing. Things certainly are not just what they used to be.