Posts Tagged ‘1934’

1000 Hints for Housewives

February 9, 2016

The title of this publication really does make it hark back to a past era. And that’s not surprising for it does date from the mid-1930s.

1000 Hints for Housewives is at Market Lavington Museum

1000 Hints for Housewives is at Market Lavington Museum

We can see that this book was by Helen Burke of the Sunday Pictorial. This paper ran under that name from 1915 to 1963 at which point it became the Sunday Mirror.

Helen Burke was described as the ‘Home Expert’ for the paper and no doubt her name would have been well known in the 1930s. Apart from her newspaper work she was responsible for cookery books, knitting patterns and was employed by a North London housing developer to endorse their houses as ‘honest houses – well planned, well built – so labour saving’.

This is one of many such books and booklets we have at the museum which belonged to local families. This one looks to have been well used.

Of course, we offer a chance to sample recipes from some of these books at our annual Museum Miscellany event which, this year, will be on Saturday October 8th at 7.30 in Market Lavington’s wonderful Community Hall.


Southcliffe Farm

June 24, 2015
Southcliffe Farm in 1934. It was once the home of the Alexander family.

Southcliffe Farm in 1934. It was once the home of the Alexander family.

This bungalow was the home of the Alexander family. Our photo of it was taken in 1934.

Sitting outside the front door is Geoffrey Alexander. He later emigrated to Australia and still has descendants there.

Getting an accurate fix on the location of this bungalow is quite difficult but we can see former council housing in the background which must be at Townsend.

We don’t think there are any members of this Alexander family left in Market Lavington but we’d be very happy to be told that we are wrong.


Easterton School Children in 1934 – update

January 1, 2015

A Happy New Year to all our readers and in particular we send greetings today to the former Joy Sheppard who spent most of her life in Easterton but who now lives in Devizes.

Just two days ago we showed a picture of Easterton School Children in 1934 and we said we had a hunch about who one of the people was. Our hunch was correct and our known person was the above mentioned Joy. She has named all but one of the people on the picture.

Let’s refresh ourselves by seeing the picture again.


Easterton School pupils and teachers in 1934

Easterton School pupils and teachers in 1934

And now the outline sketch of the picture which numbers all of the people.

Easterton School in 1934 - numbered people

Easterton School in 1934 – numbered people

And here are the names of these people as supplied by Joy. She apologises for the name she can’t get and blames it on a blurred image. There’s always a chance that someone else will come up with the name.

Miss E Thomas
Infant teacher – Welsh
Mrs Fowbell
not with us for very long
Alan Bowyer
Richard Alexander
Elsie Clelford
Winnie White
Winnie Maynard
Eva Guntrip
Margaret Wiltshire
Stanley Nash
Joan Williams
Donald McGrath
Reggie Shears
Arthur Wiltshire
Stydney White
Ronald Maynard
Mary Stokes
Eva Webb
George Bowyer
Alan Alexander
note the calipers
Joy Sheppard
Doreen White
Edna Sheppard
Betty Sheppard
Mavis Coleman
not known
Bill Hussey
John Hussey
Tony White
Ronald or Arthur Stokes

Joy even provided a bit of extra information about families.

3 and 19 are cousins
4 and 20 are brothers
6, 15, 22 and 29 are siblings
9 and 14 are siblings
23 and 24 are sisters
27 and 28 are brothers
17 and 30 are siblings.

Fantastic knowledge! Thanks very much, Joy.

Easterton School children in 1934

December 30, 2014

Easterton children in 1934. Click the picture to see a larger version

This photo of youngsters at Easterton School arrived at the museum shortly before Christmas. The photo we were given is not an original photo but it tells us it shows the pupils in 1934 – fully 80 years ago. That means that the youngsters sitting on the ground in the front are now about 85 and the older children at the back could now be around 90 years old.

The photo has arrived with us via a roundabout route. We imagine it was purchased by Dave and Janet when they lived in Easterton (1980s/90s).. They moved away to Devon. Sadly, Dave died but Janet has lived in three different places in Devon. One of our stewards visited her recently and came back with the photo. Janet is keen to know if there are any Shergolds on the picture.

Almost inevitably we do not have names except for one guess. But we have feelers out and hope to identify some of the children, and the teachers. Maybe you can help as well.

A long case clock

May 26, 2014

The old song tells us that,

 My grandfather’s clock was too large for the shelf,
So it stood ninety years on the floor.

Well that wouldn’t be the situation with our long case, for it is in miniature and it stands about 25 cm tall.

model long case clock at Market Lavington Museum

Model long case clock at Market Lavington Museum

Well, we have put it on the floor there, but you can see, from the skirting board behind it, that it is just a small piece.

The carpentry was done by Tom Gye, well known carpenter and builder of Market Lavington. Tom was about 14 when he made this which dates it to around 1934.. The clock mechanism, which is in working order, is a small alarm clock, removed from another case.

This is another recent gift to the museum and you can see it on display in the upstairs room.


Just Married

June 17, 2013

For many of us, ‘Just Married’ was something that got lipsticked onto the back window of your car before you could drive away from your wedding reception. Along with that, people tied tin cans to the car so it made a noise which drew huge attention to it.

These days people don’t seem to drive away from weddings in their own car. There are usually two receptions and it is late at night before the celebrations end, so that tradition has become a thing of the past. And when the wedding we show took place, so few people had cars that the tradition had not even started.

The just married couple we see today celebrated their nuptials in the spring of 1934 and was between Miss Dorothy May Burbidge and Mr Ernest Hill. Here we see the ‘just married’ couple leaving Market Lavington Church.

Mr and Mrs Ernest Hill (Mrs Hill was born as Miss Burbidge) leave Market Lavington Church after their 1934 wedding.

Mr and Mrs Ernest Hill (Mrs Hill was born as Miss Burbidge) leave Market Lavington Church after their 1934 wedding.

Dorrie, as she was known, had not come far for her parents and sister (she was bridesmaid) lived in a cottage adjacent to the churchyard – the cottage that is now Market Lavington Museum. Ernest had come a little further, for his family came from the Littleton Panell area of West Lavington. Dorrie had actually lived in Bristol for some years where she worked as a telephonist. Ernest worked for a Somerset company.

They weren’t going far either, for the reception was held at The New Inn which is now called The Drummer Boy and is opposite the church.

Later the couple left for a honeymoon in Devon. We guess they went by train and Devon was easy enough to reach from Lavington Station.

They made their home in Bristol but were regular visitors to the Lavington area.