Posts Tagged ‘1936’

The butcher’s shop

March 23, 2016

Yesterday we looked at one of the tools of the butchery trade – a steelyard. We’ll see a few more today as we see the butcher’s shop in the 1930s.

The Butcher's Shop in Market Lavington - 1936

The Butcher’s Shop in Market Lavington – 1936

We think this is 1936 and although the shop says E. Doubleday above the door, Edward Doubleday had died earlier that year and Mr Francis was in charge. He’s the man in the doorway with the string of sausages and the seriously vicious knife.

Mr Francis - proprietor

Mr Francis – proprietor

The man in the middle is Bill Cooper. He also sports a dangerous looking knife and has a sharpening steel hanging from his waist.

Bill Cooper - butcher

Bill Cooper – butcher

We do not have a name for the third man who, by his clothing, might have been a slaughter man.

unknown - probably a slaughter man

unknown – probably a slaughter man

The photo was taken, perhaps, to indicate the success of the butcher at the Swindon Christmas Cattle Show. There are certificates in the window.

image006 Although called a cattle show, the prizes appear to be for sheep.

image007

But pride of place window notice goes to the refrigerator.

image009

An enamel sign encouraged the consumption of mustard with beef and mutton.

image011

Altogether we have a scene you just don’t see today with fresh meat hanging out in the open for anybody – any insect even – to touch and taint. Progress can be for the better!

Here is the news – for 1936

January 12, 2014

image002

We have a number of old newspapers at the museum – kept for ages by locals for some reason of interest and then passed on to the museum. This is one of them – The Wiltshire Gazette for Thursday 23rd January 1936.

Amongst articles in it we have this one.

image004

image006

We’ll skip the first couple of bits although, of course, the passing of a King was sad news, and move on to ‘Appropriate’. Here’s the transcription.

One of the artistes at a Market Lavington entertainment in aid of the Devizes and District Hospital extension fund was actually born in the hospital, while the little programme seller who was chosen to select a prize winner from the purchasers of programmes has been a patient there. The entertainment was held in the Market Lavington parish room, the arrangements having been made by the local hospital committee. The programme was provided through the good offices of Mr and Mrs Shephard of Easterton who made themselves responsible for the actual items. The proceedings opened with a balloon dance by the Misses R Clark, J Cooper, H and M Shephard and subsequently the same performers were seen in national dances with songs. Others contributing to the entertainment were Miss C Draper (songs), Mr W Harding of Erchfont (songs), The Misses M Harding and Joy Shephard (dialogue), Mr E Plank (monologue), Mr Crocker of Erchfont (songs), Mrs J Shephard (recitation), Miss Little and Mr S Sainsbury (“Darby and Joan”). Taking part in a diverting little sketch were Messrs W Austin, R Maule and J Shephard. There was a grand finale in the form of a well mixed variety turn by Mr and Mrs J Sheppard, and during this the winner of the programme prize was selected, the lucky holder being Mrs E Potter. The prize was given by Mr Jack Hill. Miss Milsom and two little girls dressed as nurses (little Miss Blake and Miss Dulcie Clark) were responsible for the sale of programmes and in this direction thanks are due to Mr Wilfred Moore for printing the programmes free. In fact a notable feature of the whole entertainment was the absence of overhead expense, and the unselfish work of the organisers was well rewarded when it became known that by their efforts £11 7s was available for the Hospital extension fund. At the close of the evening Mr G H Pike briefly thanked everyone whose work or support had contributed to the success of the concert.  The useful sum raised has been forwarded to the Hospital through Mr Robert Gauntlet and a grateful letter of thanks has been received by the organisers.

We had better add that our museum is wonderful, lovely and a great resource, but if you want to see a full range of local papers then we are NOT the place. You’ll need to head up to the Wiltshire and Swindon History centre in Chippenham