Posts Tagged ‘1970’

Grove Farm Plans

December 7, 2014

This plan has recently turned up at Market Lavington Museum. We do not know its origins, but it looks, perhaps, to have been part of some kind of school project display, produced by an adult. The plan shows the area we generally call Grove Farm.

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

Just north of the main road we can see the main farm buildings. This is the area now occupied by the Community Hall. The map is not strictly accurate. The church and churchyard do not reach Parsonage Lane (the road running roughly north) by quite a long shot. For one thing, our museum is in that area.

We can see the site of chicken houses, the pumping station and an area sold for housing. That must be Canada Rise, just above Beechwood.

The plan is somewhat textured. An area near the top has hay stuck on it.

The plan came with a second sheet with added information.

image004

There’s slightly too much for one photo.

image006

And then there’s a cross section map.

image008

We are fairly confident this information dates from very close to 1970. Mr Ron Francis died in 1969 and Canada Rise was being constructed in 1971.

We also think it is a lovely record of a farm which has entirely vanished.

Views from the hill

August 12, 2014

Then and Now

Back in about 1970 Peter Francis went up onto Lavington Hill and took this photo which he made into a large sized postcard.

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1970

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1970

It is quite a decent picture but it lacks detail. We can make out the church and of course we can no digitally enlarge it.

The church as seen some 44 years ago

The church as seen some 44 years ago

These days we can do rather better.

image005

A view from the hill in 2014

In fact even a half decent camera can get in close to the church.

A close up of the church in 2014

A close up of the church in 2014

The lime green coloured tree to the right of the church is the catalpa which was planted (by George Dobson) to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. To the right of that, the T shaped building is The Old School.

There’s no doubt that modern technology has some advantages.

Lavington from the Hill

April 22, 2013

It is always tempting to snap a photo of Market Lavington from Lavington Hill. It is like an aerial photo, with the village laid out before you. This example is believed to date from about 1970 – and judging by the colours it was the Autumn of that year. This would have been before the Dutch bark beetle caused havoc amongst our elm trees. The colours are very pretty.

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1970

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1970

The obvious building is the church, still there, of course and still looking much the same. To the left of the church is Grove Farmhouse, now consigned to memory. We have our wonderful Community Hall on that site now.

To the right of the church we can just make out our museum building and then the Old House. We can see the barn on Parsonage Lane and the Racquets Court. We can make out houses in Market Place with Spin Hill (the road) rising behind them.

The large white barn like building near the right was the workshop of the Wiltshire Agricultural Engineering Company. Behind that are the scattered houses on the sands.

In the foreground of the village, in front of the church is the little close of houses on Lavington Hill and between them and the church there are the houses on White Street, The Muddle and Church Street.

We like these ordinary photos at the museum – there’s nothing special going on. We just see the village as it was 40 or so years ago.

And of course, we can spot the changes since this photo was taken in about 1918.

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1918

Market Lavington from the hill in about 1918