Posts Tagged ‘Bath’

A Tin Bath

November 15, 2012

Today we feature one of those items which will get older viewers saying, ‘I used to use one of them!’  It’s a small tin bath or, more correctly, a galvanized steel bath.

This one is small – more baby bath size and, in fact, the family who used it soon found it too small for that and it became an alternative sink for clothes washing.

Tin bath used by the Gale family of The Spring, Market Lavington

This item dates from around 1910 although similar items would have been made much more recently. Indeed, they may still be in production. Our bath is a small one at just 55cm  which includes the handles. Many families had a range of different baths for varied purposes.

There is an odd looking loop on the bath. It’s an added soap tray.

This bath dates from about 1910 and has a clip on soap tray

Let’s look at the soap.

Microl Soap was a CWS own brand. All these items are in the kitchen at Market Lavington Museum

Microl soap was a Co-op own-brand similar in style to Lifebuoy soap. We don’t have a date for it.

The whole set up was used by the Gale family of The Spring in Market Lavington. You can see it and many other washday artefacts in the kitchen at Market Lavington Museum.

Bladud Founded Bath

June 18, 2012

About a dozen years ago, a small metal token was found at number 9, High Street, Market Lavington. This token, value one farthing, was given to Market Lavington Museum. It seems time it saw the light of day, at least in photographic form. The following information comes from the web site – although the pictures of the near perfect and well-cleaned example shown there have been replaced by our farthing at the museum.

Heath’s Bath (Somerset) copper Conder farthing token dated 1794.

Obverse: Crowned and bearded bust to left with bow and quiver of arrows over shoulder with legend: “BLADUD FOUNDED BATH”.

Obverse of token found at 9, High Street, Market Lavington showing King Bladud who founded Bath according to legend.

Reverse: The aforementioned crowned Bladud holding his bow and shield, driving two pigs or hogs with legend: “THROUGH HIS SWINE 1794”.

Reverse of token which shows Bladud as a swineherd

Plain edge.

This was issued by F. Heath who was an ironmonger, brazier and cutler with a business in Bath. Bladud was the eighth King of the Britons who is thought to have founded the baths in 863 B.C.

Legend had it that Bladud contracted leprosy and was locked away. He escaped and took a job as a swineherd. His pigs contracted leprosy as well. His sick pigs wallowed in mud and were cured. Seeing this, Bladud also rolled in the mud and he, too, was cured. He went on to be the 8th King of the Britons. In gratitude he founded a city where the pigs had been cured – the city now known as Bath. Bladud dedicated his city to the Celtic Goddess, Sul. 900 years later, the Romans called the place Aquae Sulis.

According to legend, one of the children of Bladud was King Lear – made famous by the Shakespeare play.

Francis Heath, the issuer of these and other coins, has not been clearly traced. He carried on his ironmongery, cutlery and brazier business, just previous to 1800, at number 2, Bath Street.

How this token came to be in High Street, Market Lavington we don’t know.