Posts Tagged ‘cast iron’

General Gordon

June 7, 2013

General Charles George Gordon was regarded as a British hero for many military successes and triumphs. He was born in 1833 and saw service in the Crimean War.  His reputation stems more from his time in China where he led a brigade known as the ‘Ever Victorious Army’

In 1873 he entered the service of the Khedive, becoming Governor General of the Sudan. He was instrumental in putting down revolts and suppressing the slave trade. He returned to Britain in 1880, but returned to the Sudan soon after to try to defeat Muhammad Ahmad. This proved to be a struggle too far for Gordon who was beheaded by his adversary in 1885.

This was a time when General Gordon memorabilia came into the market and we have a piece at Market Lavington Museum.

Plaque depicting General Gordon of Khartoum - which can be found at Market Lavington Museum.

Plaque depicting General Gordon of Khartoum – which can be found at Market Lavington Museum.

This is a cast iron plaque depicting General Gordon, complete with medals and wearing a fez. We know of no original purpose for this other than a decoration. We believe it dates from soon after 1885.

This plaque, with some obvious damage, was given to the museum by Mrs Cox of White Street.

Once again, we’d appeal for any further information about this item.

A High-level Cistern

August 15, 2010

The oldest residents of Market Lavington remember a time before the sewerage system was laid in Market Lavington. And speak of earth closets and bucket lavatories, which were emptied by people with the contents, spread on allotments.

It wasn’t until the 1940s that flush toilets began to be installed in the village, and even then the flushing just moved the lavatory contents into the local stream via the rainwater drains. The sewerage system was installed in the 1950s.

A reminder of these early days of the flush lavatory has just been donated to the museum. Just a few days ago, this blog featured a quotation for a job from W Hopkins and Son and our new acquisition is a high-level lavatory cistern, supplied by Hopkins.

High-level lavatory cistern - just donated to Market Lavington Museum

Let’s take a closer look at the legend on the front.

The cistern was supplied by Hopkins Brothers of Market Lavington

This cistern comes from a house on Drove Lane where it was probably installed when new and was in use until very recently.

We do not think that the cistern, which is made of cast iron, was actually produced in the village although we can find no manufacturer’s mark on it, just the Hopkins Bros, Mkt. Lavington badge as shown. The Hopkins were builders’ merchants but also produced and piped gas within the village. They had various premises on Church Street.