Posts Tagged ‘cemetery’

Remembering the Cemetery Chapel

October 28, 2015

In 2010 the chapel at the Drove Lane Cemetery was deemed to be in an unsafe state and was demolished. We did feature the chapel at the time on this blog and you can click here to see that.

For those that don’t bother to click, here’s what the chapel looked like back in 2008.

Drove Lane Cemetery Chapel in 2008

Drove Lane Cemetery Chapel in 2008

A plan, at the time of demolition was to sell the building for re-erection so it was demolished with care and offered for sale. We don’t think it attracted a buyer but it was photographed during demolition and that’s what we are looking at today.

image004

An interior shot. It was not in good order!

image006

Demolition is underway.

image008

A window still in place and window quoins laid out and numbered.

image010

The chapel has gone and no trace of it remains at the cemetery. But it is not forgotten.

 

Drove Lane Cemetery

August 21, 2015

Family history researchers should not forget that there were several burial places in Market Lavington. Two, sadly, can no longer be visited. These were at the old Baptist chapel which is now a fish and chip shop and also at the old independent chapel which had previously been the Quaker meeting house. But as well as St Mary’s churchyard there is also the Drove Lane cemetery. This was once used by the Congregational Church but these days it is actually a cemetery for Easterton and the surrounding area.

Here we present information about one grave there.

James and Eliza Hobbs

image001 In loving memory of James Hobbs who died June 1st 1913 aged 53
Only a step removed. We soon again shall meet
Our own; our dearly loved around the saviour’s feet.
Also of Eliza his wife who died Dec 7th 1939 aged 74
At rest

James Hobbs was born in Easterton, a tithing of Market Lavington in Wiltshire, around 1859. Submitted IGI entries give a birth date of 21st May and a baptism on 26th June 1859. The parents given on these are William and Mary

In 1861 he was with his parents, William, an agricultural labourer and Mary. James, aged 1, was the youngest of the three children at home.

In 1871 the Hobbs family were in Easterton. William was a labourer. Children were Hannah (15), our James (11) and Emily (8).

In 1881 William and Mary, along with James, were still in Easterton, living on White Street. William was a market gardener.

Eliza Lane was born 20th April 1865 and baptised at Market Lavington on 4th June. Her parents were William and Ruth.

In 1871 the Lane family lived at Market Place, Market Lavington. William was an agricultural labourer. Five year old Eliza was the oldest of the three children at home.

In 1881 Eliza worked as a live-in servant for the Pomroy family on High Street, Market Lavington.

The marriage between James Hobbs and Eliza Lane took place in the July quarter of 1887

In 1891 James and wife Eliza lived on White Street, Easterton. James worked as a market gardener. Eliza, aged 25, had been born in Lavington. James’s widowed mother, Mary lived with them and also present was James’ brother in law, 16 year old Robert Lane from Lavington.

In 1901 James and Eliza were the only occupants of the White Street, Easterton house. James was now a dairy and agricultural farmer and listed as an employer.

In 1911 James and Eliza were still living on White Street in Easterton where James was a farmer.

James died in 1913. Eliza outlived him by 26 years.

This has been borrowed from the site at http://www.locksands.esy.es/lavington/index.html where information about other graves can be found.

Drove Lane Cemetery Chapel

May 14, 2010

The Drove Lane Cemetery Chapel was built in 1868 by the Independent, Congregational Church of Market Lavington.

The cemetery and the chapel came, eventually under the jurisdiction of Easterton Parish Council even though it stood full square in Market Lavington.

A picture, taken on a cold and frosty morning in 2006 shows the chapel in its cemetery setting.

Drove Lane Cemetery and chapel, Market Lavington, - 2006

Soon after this photo was taken, it was noticed that the end walls were bulging a little and some tile slippage occurred. Barricades were put up to prevent access to the building whilst decisions were made as to its future. Eventually, in 2009 it was decided that the chapel, only used to store a few items of Parish Council possessions, would be demolished. By the end of April 2010, the chapel was no more.

But perhaps it will get a new lease of life somewhere. The demolition company decided to take the building down with care and have now offered the chapel on ebay as a building kit, for re-erection elsewhere. They point out that the chapel is ideally sized to make a good garage.

The sale of the chapel has attracted publicity. A London commuter sent this extract from the free paper, The Metro, for 13th May 2010.

Page from 'The Metro' for May 13th 2010, telling of the sale of the Drove Lane Chapel as a building kit

Let’s take a closer look at the text of this article.

Text from article about the sale of the former Market Lavington and Easterton chapel

This page, from yesterday’s paper, becomes the latest artefact to be stored for the future at Market Lavington Museum.