Posts Tagged ‘Congregational Church’

Hymn Numbers

January 3, 2016

What commonplace items these are. In times past every church had sets of numbers which could be slotted into a board to tell the congregation which hymns were to be sung. These days more and more churches are changing their technology and using projectors to indicate hymn numbers or to project words – in which case no number is needed.

When Trinity Church moved from the former Congregational Church and into the Community Hall, their old number cards were no longer needed and they came to the museum.

Here’s a sample of them.

Display hymn numbers from the former Congregational Church in Market Lavington

Display hymn numbers from the former Congregational Church in Market Lavington

These double sided cards are obviously well worn. They carry no manufacturer’s mark so it is impossible to put an age to them but long serving church members don’t remember a time without them.

For those that want to know hymn 478 is “How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord”, 130 is “God is gone up on high” and 259 is “Sweet Saviour! Bless us ere we go”.

Dedicating the Powner Hall

December 29, 2015

Another of our ‘run up to Christmas’ gifts was a rather careworn copy of the order of service for the dedication of the hall at the Congregational Church – afterwards known as the Powner Hall.

The hall was a bespoke hut made by Prattens of Midsomer Norton and adjoined the old chapel alongside Stobbarts Road. From its style of construction it was never going to last for ever, but in times past it was an extremely useful meeting space in the village. Apart from church events, toddler groups met there and there often seemed to be jumble sales. The life expired hall was swept away when the old church was converted into a spacious house.

But we go back to 1968 for the official opening and dedication.

Front page of the order of service for the opening and dedication of the new church hall in 1968

Front page of the order of service for the opening and dedication of the new church hall in 1968

So we see that on Saturday 23rd November 1968 the hall was opened by Mrs Sarah Morrison who was the wife of the then local MP.

Before the official opening there was a service of dedication.

image004image005

At the conclusion of the service, the official opening took place.

image006

We’ll note that the local church pastor was Bertram Powner and the hall was always known by his name.

The Congregational Church merged with two other local church communities to form the Trinity Church who continued to meet in the church and use the Powner Hall. Trinity Church now uses the Community Hall in Market Lavington which offers so many advantages – not least a car park.

We wonder if anybody has any photos of events in the Powner Hall which could be added to our museum collection. If so, do get in touch.

A dinner treat for the Congregational men

November 11, 2015

Here we have a photo of a group of men from the Congregational Church sitting down to a meal together.

Diner treat for Congregational men in about 1965-70

Dinner treat for Congregational men in about 1965-70

We think the photo dates to between 1963 and 1972 and we believe that the location is The Manse.

The men were clearly being looked after by four waitresses.

It looks as though the photo was taken just before the chaps started tucking in to their starters. It looks as though they had a choice – typical of the period – of grapefruit or prawn cocktail.

We know who some of the men are and we’ll start with the chap nearest us on the left and work round clockwise.

Harry Hobbs
Not Known
Bill Askey
Not Known
Dave Burt
Pastor Bertram Powner
Dickie Burt
V Sainsbury
Not Known
Not Known
Not Known
Not Known

We do not have any names for the women.

Do let us know if you can name any of the people or can tell us the occasion.

Drove Lane Cemetery

August 21, 2015

Family history researchers should not forget that there were several burial places in Market Lavington. Two, sadly, can no longer be visited. These were at the old Baptist chapel which is now a fish and chip shop and also at the old independent chapel which had previously been the Quaker meeting house. But as well as St Mary’s churchyard there is also the Drove Lane cemetery. This was once used by the Congregational Church but these days it is actually a cemetery for Easterton and the surrounding area.

Here we present information about one grave there.

James and Eliza Hobbs

image001 In loving memory of James Hobbs who died June 1st 1913 aged 53
Only a step removed. We soon again shall meet
Our own; our dearly loved around the saviour’s feet.
Also of Eliza his wife who died Dec 7th 1939 aged 74
At rest

James Hobbs was born in Easterton, a tithing of Market Lavington in Wiltshire, around 1859. Submitted IGI entries give a birth date of 21st May and a baptism on 26th June 1859. The parents given on these are William and Mary

In 1861 he was with his parents, William, an agricultural labourer and Mary. James, aged 1, was the youngest of the three children at home.

In 1871 the Hobbs family were in Easterton. William was a labourer. Children were Hannah (15), our James (11) and Emily (8).

In 1881 William and Mary, along with James, were still in Easterton, living on White Street. William was a market gardener.

Eliza Lane was born 20th April 1865 and baptised at Market Lavington on 4th June. Her parents were William and Ruth.

In 1871 the Lane family lived at Market Place, Market Lavington. William was an agricultural labourer. Five year old Eliza was the oldest of the three children at home.

In 1881 Eliza worked as a live-in servant for the Pomroy family on High Street, Market Lavington.

The marriage between James Hobbs and Eliza Lane took place in the July quarter of 1887

In 1891 James and wife Eliza lived on White Street, Easterton. James worked as a market gardener. Eliza, aged 25, had been born in Lavington. James’s widowed mother, Mary lived with them and also present was James’ brother in law, 16 year old Robert Lane from Lavington.

In 1901 James and Eliza were the only occupants of the White Street, Easterton house. James was now a dairy and agricultural farmer and listed as an employer.

In 1911 James and Eliza were still living on White Street in Easterton where James was a farmer.

James died in 1913. Eliza outlived him by 26 years.

This has been borrowed from the site at http://www.locksands.esy.es/lavington/index.html where information about other graves can be found.

More from Edington Priory Gardens

June 8, 2015

A week or so ago we showed a picture – mostly of women – enjoying a church day out at Edington Priory Gardens.

Almost immediately, we were sent another photo of the same group of people on the same occasion which we think was about 1911.

Charming group at Edington Gardens in about 1911

Charming group at Edington Gardens in about 1911

Here we have an absolutely charming photo of the group on a seesaw. The one name we have is the lady on the right, seemingly being cuddled by the chap. She is Olive Borer, grandmother of the person who sent the photo.

We’d love to know other names, of course.