Posts Tagged ‘dairy’

A curd agitator

March 18, 2016

Market Lavington parish is like Wiltshire in miniature. It has its chalk lands and it also has its cheese country. The two areas, with different underlying rock formations are very different -= as different as chalk and cheese.

We know that Mr Seymour up at Freith Farm was a cheese maker. The Freith area, on the main road to Potterne and Devizes, has recently sprouted road signs which tell of its name but it is and always was a part of the Parish of Market Lavington. It comes as no surprise that we have some of the tools of the cheese making business in the museum. We have called this item a curd agitator.

Curd agitator at Market Lavington Museum - about 1900

Curd agitator at Market Lavington Museum – about 1900

The agitator was used to help separate curds from whey. It has a long handle not shown in the photo.

This probably dates from around the start of the 20th century

Jacob Cooper’s Cream Pot

September 26, 2013

Some items just have a certain elegance. Such is the case with a little cream jug which was owned by Jacob Cooper.

We have met Jacob before on this blog. You could try here or here to learn more about this former resident of our parish.

But today we look at his cream container which dates from the second half of the nineteenth century.

Jacob Copper's cream pot is at Market Lavington Museum

Jacob Copper’s cream pot is at Market Lavington Museum

This little pot might look like a dustbin but it stands about 7 cm tall. It is described as tin with a carrying handle and a clip for fastening as well. These, like the lid hinge, are made of brass.

 

Cream pot supplied by the  Dairy Supply Company of Museum Street, London

Cream pot supplied by the Dairy Supply Company of Museum Street, London

The embossed name label tells us this was supplied by the Dairy Supply Co Lt of Museum 35 in London.

This company dates from the 1860s. The Museum Street building dates from the 1880s and is still standing although no longer anything to do with the dairy industry.

Another piece of labelling is on the hinge.

 

Hinge by Hanamada

Hinge by Hanamada

We think Hanamada were probably the manufacturers of the hinge.

This item is on display in the Market Lavington Museum kitchen.

A pint of milk

August 16, 2012

The other day our curator was out walking in the village, taking a path which rises up a steep bank. There had been a lot of rain, washing some of the bank away and revealing a bottle. It was a one pint milk bottle of the older style and had been commandeered by ants as a safe nesting place. Well, unfortunately for them, they lost their nest since the curator thought the bottle could be added to the museum collection. Here it is, with the ants and their fibrous nesting material now gone.

Pre 1988 milk bottle found at Spin Hill, Market Lavington

The bottle has the message that it belongs to Churchfield Dairy, Salisbury.

The bottle belonged to Churchfields Dairy in Salisbury

It is of a type the curator recalls being delivered to his door. It is not of any great age – a fact given away by the flying cow logo.

The bottle has a flying cow logo embossed in the glass

Research (the most useful site proved to be www.wiltshiretreasures.org/ and items at the Wiltshire Heritage Museum, Devizes)  leads us to believe that Churchfields Dairy changed to the newer style of bottle in 1988 so our bottle probably dates from around 1980.