Posts Tagged ‘display’

New display drawers

March 15, 2016

We are delighted to say we have found another way to display more at Market Lavington Museum without taking up more space. Is this really possible? Well yes, if you think through problems.

This idea started when our curator and archivist were on the wonderful Hebridean island of South Uist and visited the museum there. They had pull out drawers with glass lids in which small items could be stored and displayed.

We had some table top displays on metal frame legs designed to prevent use of the space underneath. The time became right for those legs to be replaced by glass topped drawers.

We sourced some second hand ones – actually from the highly prestigious Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. They weren’t quite perfect. They’d have been better had they been 4 drawers deep rather than three – but a plinth was made to mount them on and in one morning a small group of volunteers got them installed.

First the existing display tables were moved away from the space where the drawers were to go.

Space for the drawers

Space for the drawers

They stood outside temporarily.

Museum display in the churchyard!

Museum display in the churchyard!

Meanwhile the plinth was constructed.

A plinth is built - strong enough to support a house!

A plinth is built – strong enough to support a house!

With the plinth correctly sited, the drawer units were got into place.

Drawer units being got in place - and they weigh nearly as much as a house!

Drawer units being got in place – and they weigh nearly as much as a house!

The table top displays were then fixed on top.

Job almost done

Job almost done

There is still a little beautifying to do, but altogether we have 18 drawers there where once a framework of metal legs stood. No space has been taken.

We’ll have displays in some of the drawers when we open in May but this might be a ‘keep coming back’ project to see what else we have done.

Huge thanks to our supporters and volunteers who have helped to get this in place.

 

Settle down or settle up?

April 15, 2015

How strange words in the English language can be. Settling down and settling up ought to have entirely opposite meanings, but as far as we know the meanings are entirely different with no link between them.

However, during our closed season we have taken all the display on our circa 1800 settle down and have now put up a new display on the same settle.

A fresh settle display for 2015

A fresh settle display for 2015

At the left hand end a bride is ready to depart. She’s wearing a 1920s wedding dress. Her two maids are taking a breather with her, wearing appropriate period aprons. Other items, possibly recently worn by household members have been hung on the settle prior to being put away. Perhaps the bride has decided the necklace is a bit chunky for her wedding dress.

Just out of shot, the bride’s niece is in the pram. She’s in a family heirloom Christening gown for there is to be a joint ceremony.

At least they all have a very short walk to the church!

Do visit in 2015 to see what’s new at Market Lavington Museum. Remember, admission is free although we welcome donations to help us with running costs.

A mixed corner at the museum

June 16, 2011

Last year we had a problem with woodworm in one old cabinet. There was no option but to destroy it. Friends at Mere Museum were able to give us a replacement – and lovely it is, but it was smaller than the old wooden cabinet. We were left with a blank corner to fill.

Our ever-resourceful archivist came up with an idea and it looks very attractive. It is based around a pan stand that was not needed by the owner.

'Pan stand' display at Market Lavington Museum

All of the items on the stand are accessioned items – quite an eclectic collection.

On top we have a box made by the Darby and Joan club in 1988 to celebrate 25 years of this club.

Next down we have some  letter scales – designed to weigh light items with accuracy. The scales share this level with a child’s money box, shaped like a red pillar box. This dates from the 1930s.

The wooden box on the middle layer  contains a set of rubber stamps. It came from the Devizes Rural District Council (of which Market Lavington and Easterton were parts). It predates the computer age, from the era  before mail merge. It was a time when a document could be produced with blank spaces and then individual parish names could be rubber stamped in.

The pigeon is a decoy made by Norman Neate. Norman was a keen shooter as well as being the last commercial brewer in the village. It dates from the earlier part of the twentieth century.

The primus stove at the bottom dates from the mid 20th century and is a very compact, touring model. It belonged to a family on The Spring.

The doilies under the items are locally hand made, mostly in the early 20th century.

The small table underneath is covered with a mid nineteenth century cot cover. On that is a late 19th century black scarf and then a couple of salt cellars used in Clyffe Hall when it was a hotel. They date from the 1940s.

Why not pay us a visit to see these items and all the other displays we have.

New Display – The Congregational Church

April 5, 2011

New displays are now taking shape at Market Lavington Museum – ready for opening on Sunday May 1st.

One display portrays something of the life of the Congregational Church.

There's a new display about the Congregational Church at Market Lavington Museum

This body of people set themselves up as the Independent church at the start of the nineteenth century. Soon, they were using the former Quaker Meeting House at the Easterton end of Market Lavington High Street. The group flourished and in 1892 a new church was opened, opposite the former Quaker room, which was retained for Sunday Schools. A vestry was added to the building in 1919.

The Sunday School building was sold off in 1968. A new, small hall was opened behind the church, which became known as The Powner Hall after Bertram Powner who was the Pastor at the time.

Various mergers have taken place. Nationally, the Congregational Church became the United Reformed Church in the 1970s. Then, locally, the Methodist congregations at both Easterton and Littleton Panell joined with the Market Lavington group with the three churches forming Trinity Church.

The 1892 building began to need quite extensive repair work and it was decided to move services to Market Lavington’s new Community Hall. The last service in the 1892 church took place in June 2008.

In 2010 the chapel building was sold by auction for conversion to a dwelling house. Trinity Church continues to meet in the Community Hall.

The church was not just about services and worship. Church members enjoyed a good social life as well, with outings to places like Bratton Tea Gardens, when transport was horse powered, or as far away as Weymouth when charabancs became available. Our display includes photos of some of the social occasions.

Cups of tea have been the backdrop to much social activity during the time the church has existed and we are delighted that a local lady saved a pair of the teapots used by church members and has just given them to the museum. They form a part of the display.

The newest acquisitions at the museum are the church teapots. They form part of the display

Closed Season Work begins

November 9, 2010

This looks like a rather cramped corner of the museum but in fact it has been the scene at the main entrance for a few weeks.

Old and replacement cabinets at Market Lavington Museum

Sadly, the wooden framed tall cabinet was found to have an infestation of anobium punctatum – the common furniture beetle. It had become time for this cabinet to go and at a very fortunate moment our friends at Mere Museum offered the metal-framed cabinet on the left. This cabinet has history. At Mere they called it the Salisbury Cabinet for they, in their turn, had acquired it from Salisbury Museum. How lovely that the museum community in Wiltshire supports one another.

Our opening season finished at the end of October. At the weekend just gone, the curator spent time removing items from the old cabinet, checking them carefully and placing them in temporary storage. He also took the opportunity to photograph the items so that, in the fullness of time they may make topics for this blog and appear on the Wiltshire Treasures website.

The old, wormy cabinet is not being offered to other museums and so is being demolished in situ for removal.

The Mere cabinet is smaller than the old wooden one. Once it is in place we’ll be able to decide what additional item to build/buy to allow us to re-house our artefacts.

Amongst other winter plans, we aim to have a new exhibition next year on the Congregational Church. The Victorian Chapel was sold earlier this year (the church as a body of people is still going strong) and scaffolding has appeared round it as conversion to a dwelling begins.

We’ll look forward to welcoming people to see the new exhibitions at the start of our 26th season in 2011.