Posts Tagged ‘dog’

Some of the loves of Bill Elisha

August 16, 2015

We’ll leave May, his wife, out on this occasion. As far as we know Bill and May had a long and happy marriage which lasted from 1929 until Bill died in 1984.

We are not even going to talk about football, well known as one of Bill’s passions. The Elisha Field is named after Bill.

Today we’ll look at a couple of other things Bill was fond of – dogs and birds – particularly poultry and cage birds.

At the museum we have some photographic negatives taken by the Elishas and this is one of them, converted by modern technology into a positive.

Bill Elisha of Market Lavington with dog and poultry

Bill Elisha of Market Lavington with dog and poultry

Here we see Bill, complete with dog sitting on his poultry pen which contains what looks like some youthful hens. Bill almost certainly constructed the pen himself. He was a gardener by trade, working at Clyffe Hall at one time. No doubt he’d have been expected to turn his hand to the odd bit of carpentry.

Negatives by their very nature have no caption but the same set of negatives has photos of Bill and May’s wedding so we think it dates from around 1929. The location isn’t known but the first home of Bill and May was Hillside on White Street so it could be there.

It’s a pretty decent portrait of a young man with his ‘family’.

Peggy and Rufus

July 1, 2014

 

Today we have another picture of Peggy Welch – recently given to us. In this photo she is not alone. She has a friend called Rufus with her.

Peggy Welch and the dog Rufus in 1926

Peggy Welch and the dog Rufus in 1926

Rufus, as we now see, was a dog. This photo dates from 1926 when Peggy was four or five.

Bearing in mind that old rule about not working with children or animals, the photographer has done well for both girl and dog are paying attention to the camera man.

We believe this photo was taken in the garden of Spring Villa for that was a Welch owned property and, whilst Peggy had been born in neighbouring Meadow Cottage, the family did move into Spring Villa.

A quick release dog lead

January 11, 2011

Norman Neate is a name we have met before on this site. He was the son of James Neate and took over his father’s brewing business, becoming the last commercial beer brewer in the parish.

He was also a keen country sportsman – notably a shooter and therefore he kept and used gun dogs. Norman devised a quick release dog lead so that when a bird was brought down, the dog could be set free to retrieve it. This item was featured as a mystery item at the 2010 Market Lavington fete and, as such, has appeared in these pages.

Norman Neate's quick release dog lead - an item at Market Lavington Museum

Just how Norman used this device is not entirely clear, but he obviously valued it enough to give it some ornamentation and his initials.

Ornamentation on Norman Neate's dog lead

Nice work, Norman!

Our present day country sportsmen suggest that to even need this device, Norman must have had a poorly trained dog since a well trained one would have never needed to have been on a lead. If this was the case, then at least the museum has been bequeathed a rather nice item as a result.