Posts Tagged ‘Elisha’

Bill Elisha

February 7, 2016

Back in 2012 we showed one of two sketches drawn of Bill during World War 2. Today we look at the second of them.

A 1944 sketch of Bill Elisha

A 1944 sketch of Bill Elisha

We can see that bill is the CQMS or Company Quartermaster Sergeant in the Wiltshires.

We can’t make out the name of the sketcher but they have thoroughly caught our Bill. As folks say, this is like him to a T.

Bill had many village roles. He was chair of the Parish Council and a long time stalwart of the football club – as a player in younger days and then as a club official. He is remembered because the Elisha Field is named after him.

Bill was born in about 1902 and died in 1984.

May and Bill on the run

January 11, 2016

May is Mrs Elisha, the lady who spent almost 60 years as teacher and supply teacher at Market Lavington School and on into St Barnabas, the new school built when the two village schools of Market Lavington and Easterton closed.

This uncaptioned photo we have certainly dates from pre World War II. It shows May – full name Helena May Elisha – sitting on a chicken run.

May Elisha  on the chicken run

May Elisha on the chicken run

May was born on 11th August 1903 as ‘Miss Potter’. She married Bill Elisha in 1929. We guess this photo was taken soon after the marriage.

It’s a lovely homely sort of shot with May holding the dog that she and Bill had at the time. The couple clearly took a photo of each other.

Here is Bill in the almost identical location.

Bill Elisha on the chicken run

Bill Elisha on the chicken run

Incidentally, it is Bill that the Elisha Field is named after, Both he and May were much involved in village life but it was Bill who had a stint as chairman of the Parish Council and he was also passionate about local football.

The couple had no children which may explain why we have a goodly collection of Elisha memorabilia in the museum.

Some of the loves of Bill Elisha

August 16, 2015

We’ll leave May, his wife, out on this occasion. As far as we know Bill and May had a long and happy marriage which lasted from 1929 until Bill died in 1984.

We are not even going to talk about football, well known as one of Bill’s passions. The Elisha Field is named after Bill.

Today we’ll look at a couple of other things Bill was fond of – dogs and birds – particularly poultry and cage birds.

At the museum we have some photographic negatives taken by the Elishas and this is one of them, converted by modern technology into a positive.

Bill Elisha of Market Lavington with dog and poultry

Bill Elisha of Market Lavington with dog and poultry

Here we see Bill, complete with dog sitting on his poultry pen which contains what looks like some youthful hens. Bill almost certainly constructed the pen himself. He was a gardener by trade, working at Clyffe Hall at one time. No doubt he’d have been expected to turn his hand to the odd bit of carpentry.

Negatives by their very nature have no caption but the same set of negatives has photos of Bill and May’s wedding so we think it dates from around 1929. The location isn’t known but the first home of Bill and May was Hillside on White Street so it could be there.

It’s a pretty decent portrait of a young man with his ‘family’.

The Elisha Family by their shop

August 5, 2015

These days people know the name Elisha because a playing field up Drove Lane is named, ‘The Elisha Field’. This honours Bill Elisha who had been a stalwart of the local football team as player and general organiser. He had also been a chairman of the Parish Council and had many other interests and hobbies.

His wife was May Elisha – the teacher who taught in the 1920s and was still doing occasional supply teaching into the early 1980s. She had been born Helena May Potter.

The first Elisha in the village, though, was Bill’s father – William George Elisha who opened his tailoring business on High Street in Market Lavington in 1910/11.

This photo probably dates from that time – 1910 or 11.

The Elisha family outside their shop in about 1911

The Elisha family outside their shop in about 1911

This is quickly recognisable as the building next to Chapel Lane. The current fish and chip take-away was once a Baptist chapel – hence that name.

William George Elisha stands on the steps. His second wife, Sarah stands in front of him. She was step mother to Bill who is holding the dog. One of the girls may be Bill’s older sister, Emily Gladys.

The Elishas were tailors

The Elishas were tailors

The shop name is clearly displayed and sewing machines could be purchased to order.

We can also see a bracket for a gas lamp underneath the larger Singer advert.

A gas lamp bracket on the corner of Chapel Lane

A gas lamp bracket on the corner of Chapel Lane

 

Lavington and District Poultry Show

August 31, 2014

Time was when many a householder kept poultry who could be fed, to some degree on food waste and thus form a vital part of the cottage economy. And, as well as that, there were commercial poultry keepers. No wonder there was a local poultry show.

These days we call it sponsorship and we have two examples of it in one document here. A chicken feed company have sponsored the letter heading – and very pretty it is too.

image002

Letter to Mr Holloway from The Lavington and District Poultry Show

These days we call supporting events like this sponsorship and we have two examples of it in one document here. A chicken feed company have sponsored the letter heading – and very pretty it is too.

Compant logo for Chamberlain and Pole

Company logo for Chamberlain and Pole

Now isn’t that sweet!

The content of the letter tells us that Mr Holloway of West Lavington made a donation to the show, presumably for 1925 as that’s the date on the letter.

We see the chairman of the show was Arthur Walton who, in addition to his department store in Market Lavington also owned a poultry farm.

The secretary who wrote the letter was William Edward Elisha. He’s better known as Bill and he was a stalwart of Lavington in many, many ways.

Bill Elisha was the show secretary

Bill Elisha was the show secretary

The letter is another from the Holloway collection. These bills and letters make a very interesting addition to our museum.