Posts Tagged ‘football’

The Church Lads Brigade Football Team

April 14, 2013

The England football team, despite an 8 –  0 victory, seem to be making slightly heavy weather of qualifying for the next world cup. I wonder how the local Church Lads would have got on.

This photo shows the lads – and some who might be more senior in the 1911/12 season.

Market Lavington Church Lads Football Team - 1911/12

Market Lavington Church Lads Football Team – 1911/12

Sad to say this is a ‘don’t know where, don’t know who’ photo. But maybe somebody out there will recognise some of the lads. That’s what we hope.

So let’s enlarge the team, bit by bit.

image003

image004

As an added bonus we have the person peering out of the window.

image005

image006

Please do get in touch if you think you know any of the lads.

Who wears short shorts?

March 29, 2013

The answer, in this case, is a 1970s football team. They are probably late 1970s and could be early 1980s.

Here they are.

Football team, probably of the late 1970s. Presumed to be a Lavington team - can you help us to identify them?

Football team, probably of the late 1970s. Presumed to be a Lavington team – can you help us to identify them?

Sadly, we know nothing about the team. Peggy Gye, our museum founder, donated the photo but it is only captioned, ‘coloured photo of football team with cup’. Coming from Peggy, we assume it is a local team.

Here’s hoping somebody out there can tell us more about this team which seems to feature a number of players with Kevin Keegan like hair-dos.

If you can tell us more then do get in touch. If not then just enjoy (or laugh at) the way fashion was a generation ago.

Our Henry Cooper

March 9, 2013

Today we are going to look at another of the lads from the 1919 football team we saw the other day. His name is Henry Cooper, not to be confused with his ‘slapping it on’ and much more famous boxing namesake. To avoid confusion I’ll call our footballing chap Harry for that was what he was usually called.

Henry Cooper of Market Lavington1899 - 1968

Henry Cooper of Market Lavington
1899 – 1968

This is Harry who was aged about 19 or 20 when the photo was taken.

He was born in 1899 and was given an age of 1½ on the 1901 census. His parents were John and Elizabeth – both Market Lavington born. John was listed as a blacksmith and our Harry was the middle of three children born to the couple. The family lived in Market Place in Market Lavington.

Harry, had he been of a mind to, could have traced his Market Lavington ancestry back for generations. Father and Grandfather Cooper were Market Lavington born. Harry’s mother had been Elizabeth Hoare and she certainly had grandparents born in Market Lavington. She was with them at the time of the 1881 census.

In 1911 a bigger Cooper family still lived in Market Place. John was now listed as an agricultural engineer. Harry, aged 11 was a scholar. He was now the second of seven children at home with the parents. This census tells us that in 14 years of marriage John and Elizabeth had produced seven children and all were still alive.

In 1924 Harry married Edith Burt – another name with a good local provenance. We think she was actually a Devizes girl.

The 1926 electoral roll suggests that Harry was still at home with parents, in Market Place. Edith is not listed on this roll. She was under 30 and at that time only women over 30 could vote.

However, she is listed on the 1939 roll. She and Harry were at 9 Market Place. John, Harry’s father, was at number 3.

We believe that Harry and Edith had three children, Sylvia, Ivor and Honor.

By 1964 the old houses in the Market Place had been demolished. Henry and Edith lived on Northbrook, according to the electoral roll. We would now say that their house was on Northbrook Close.

Henry died in 1968. His address given as 2 Northbrook Close. Edith died in hospital in Devizes in 1984. Both are buried in St Mary’s churchyard.

A Lavington and Easterton Football Team

March 5, 2013
Market Lavington and Easterton football team in about 1919

Market Lavington and Easterton football team in about 1919

We think this picture could have been taken at Gye’s Yard on White Street. Ignoring the team for a moment, we can see, in the background, some kind of pump and a cartwheel which could well have been associated with the Gye’s building, carpentry and wheelwrighting business.

This is a well captioned photo so we can name the men.

Back row (left to right): Dick Sainsbury, Wilf Moore, Peto Baker, Reg Harris, Fred Burnett, B Gale, Bert Burnett.

Middle row (left to right): Bob Sainsbury, Geo Alexander, Bill Mills, Harry Cooper.

Front row (left to right): Sid Mullings, Dick Andrews.

The photo is well captioned by name, but no date is given. We date it to about 1919.

Let’s pick on the lad with the ball.

Alec George Alexander, born Market Lavington but by this time of Easterton

Alec George Alexander, born Market Lavington but by this time of Easterton

This is George Alexander. He was born in 1897, the son of Richard and Jane. Richard was the publican at The Kings Arms. The family were there for the 1901 census but our George was entered as Alec G Alexander.  In 1911 he lived with his widowed mother at The Clays, Easterton.

Alec George served in World War 1. He was injured whilst in Mesopotamia and also served in India.

In 1922 he became a postman in Easterton. He earned 8/11 a week and his duties involved 15 miles of walking every day.

In 1926 he married Nellie May Ross, daughter of a gardener at Clyffe Hall in Market Lavington.

In 1936 Our Mr Alexander transferred to the Devizes area where he remained a postman until retirement in 1957 – but he worked in the office for a further five years.

Alec George Alexander had been a keen bandsman – a drummer. He played with the Market Lavington Prize Silver Band when he lived in Easterton.

He and Nellie celebrated their Golden Wedding in 1976.

Alec George Alexander died in 1980.

The Congregational Bible Class Football Team

October 13, 2012

Churches obviously look after the spiritual need of a community but they also have a social side. Today we are looking at a quite non-religious venture by the Congregational Church.  Their successors in 2012, Trinity Church, continue with the provision of social activities. It is Trinity who bring the cinema to Market Lavington once a month, showing top notch films (most recently it was ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’) along with the popcorn and bar to give the Community Hall a real cimema feel, with the bonus of it being a very social event. Trinity, without a church building of their own, have recently purchased a former shop in the very centre of Market Lavington and hope to start a tea room/drop in centre.

So perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised that in times past, the Congregational Church Bible Class had their own football team. They are pictured below.

Congregational Bible Class Football Club with manager, George Pike.

We have no date for this image but we can take a guess based on the one person we can positively identify. That’s George Pike, the chap in the coat who looks every inch the manager. George was a stalwart of both the Congregational Church and of football in the area. We suspect if he saw an opportunity to raise a football team, he’d take it.

So, George, who we have met before on these pages (check out this page) was born in 1877. If we suggest he looks around 40 in this shot, then we could say this was World War I time. Presumably there would not have been these young men available during the war, so it could be just before or just after the war. We favour   around 1920 as the time.

Of course, we want help. George looks to be the oldest person in the photo. Maybe some of the others can be identified. Can you identify any of the lads who played for Congregational Bible Class F. C.?

A School Football Team

August 12, 2012

Yesterday we looked at Girl Guides relaxing at a summer camp. Today, to make sure we have gender balance, we’ll look at a group of boys. They were the Market Lavington School football team of their era. We think that era was around 1948.

Market Lavington School football team in about 1948

Our boys here are –

Standing (left to right): Lenny Jenks, Gerald Baker, Gordon Baker, John Izatt, Bert Cox.

Sitting (left to right): Lennie Cartwright, Brian Matthews, Mike Baker, Ralph Cox, Michael Sainsbury.

At least one of these lads was a semi-professional footballer in later life. I gather Mike Baker was offered terms by football league clubs but in those days of a maximum permitted wage for footballers, Mike decided that to have to up sticks and move was not what he wanted. He was much better off doing the day job and then playing for local semi-professional clubs at the weekend.

Post War Football

July 13, 2012

We have recently been given a photo of The Lavington and Easterton United football team for the 1949/50 season.

Market Lavington and Easterton football team in 1950

Unfortunately, we don’t have the names of the players, but we do have Bill Elisha’s note, written on the back of the photo.

Bill Elisha’s note on the back of the photo. Bill was chairman of the Market Lavington and Easterton Football Club

The one person in the photo we are fairly certain we know is Bill Elisha. He’s the man in the coat, crouching at the right hand end of the front row of players.

Can anybody tell us who the other people are? Maybe somebody can see enough to identify the location as well.

Please email the curator if you can.

A 1953 school football team

April 1, 2012

With this being Diamond Jubilee year, we are looking back to the 1950s, when our Queen Elizabeth came to the throne. Her coronation, of course, was in 1953.

We have looked at the 1953 school hockey team in the past. Click here.

Today we are looking at the lads – a school football team from 1953.

Market Lavington School Football Team - 1953

These lads are standing outside the door to what was then Market Lavington School and is now ‘The Old School’. It looks as though a 7-a-side version of the game was played. We do not have the full names of all of the players.

On the back row from left to right we have; Ellis, Owen, J Matthews and H Stockley.

The front three from left to right are: Burt, G Ellis and either R Chapman or T Webb.

We will, no doubt, see some of these young men at the museum this year. Then we’ll get full names.

Opening The Davis Field

March 27, 2012

It’s funny how memory fades The creation of the football field at the top of Northbrook is well within living memory, but we only have a date of ‘approximately 1950. Perhaps a reader will be able to be a bit more accurate. Our photo shows three men at the opening. No doubt all had been enthusiastic footballers in their day.

At the opening of the Davis Field, Northbrook, Market Lavington in about 1950

The man in the middle is Frank Davis.

Frank Davis of Market Lavington

Frank owned the land and gave it to the football club. It had been an orchard at one time, and much hard work was needed to convert it into a suitable playing area. Frank would surely be pleased to see the ground still in use, now with lighting to allow for evening training.

Frank was born in 1881 in Market Lavington. His father, John, came from Imber. Mary (née Blagden), his mother, was a Market Lavington girl.

The 1881 census lists a 2-month-old Frank. His oldest brother had been born in Imber but all the rest were Market Lavington born. They had been at the thatched cottage on Northbrook for about ten years.

In 1901 Frank was listed as a boot maker’s apprentice – still at home on Northbrook, Market Lavington.

In 1911 Frank was still single and living at the family home on Northbrook. Boot making may not have suited Frank for he was a labourer.

Frank married Annie Elizabeth Andrews in 1914. He died in 1954 and is buried in St Mary’s, Market Lavington.

Frank’s grandson, Keith, the newsagent in Market Lavington was only a youngster when the field was opened for football. He tells us that his grandfather kicked off the very first ball after the guest of honour had delivered a speech. The guest of honour was a man called Stanley Rous.

Believed to be Stanley (later Sir Stanley) Rous

Keith thought this man was Rous – later Sir Stanley Rous and president of FIFA from 1961 to 74.

Maybe another reader could confirm if this is, indeed, Stanley Rous.

The third man in the photo has not been identified.

A third man at the opening of the Davis Field in Market Lavington. Can you identify him?

Can anybody help identify this chap?

Creating the Davis Field

June 11, 2011

Market Lavington’s old recreation ground was behind the place where we now find Shires Close. Perhaps an older resident could tell us why and when that ceased to be used. We can see it in use by clicking here.

As far as football was concerned Frank Davis came to the rescue. He owned a field of suitable size at the top of Northbrook. It needed work to make it suitable for football. There were trees to grub out and levelling to be done, but a team of willing volunteers worked at it and the field was ready for use in the early 1950s.

A photo of volunteers was recently brought to the museum by John Cooper. John not only had the photo but also the knowledge of all the people on it. (Actually, a couple of people were named by the blog’s friend, John in Australia.)

Here are volunteers, taking a breather from the hard work.

Volunteers take a break from work on the Davis Football Field in about 1950 - a photo now at Market Lavington Museum

And here’s the same photo with the people numbered.

And the names to go with the numbers.

1)    Walt Merritt
2)    George Stone
3)    Ern Baker
4)    Fred Shepherd
5)    Olive Baker
6)    June Baker
7)    Ken Ellis
8)    John Cooper (who brought this photo to the museum)
9)    David Cooper
10) Laurie Cooper
11) Frank Davis (who gave the land for the football field)
12) Stan Cooper
13) Stan Ingram
14) George Burgess
15) Cliff Burgess
16) Harold Ellis
17) Bill Elisha
18) Ern Razey
19) Alan Baker
20) Taffy Jones
21) Walter Cole
22) Carol Davis
23) Philip Cooper
24) John Burgess
25) Nick Burgess
26) Gordon Ellis
27)   Keith Davis

Apparently a copy of this photo used to hang in the pavilion built on the Davis Field. The photo was lost when the pavilion burned down. Thanks to John we’ll now be able to replace it.