Posts Tagged ‘graves’

Albert and Harriet Hiscock

March 11, 2015

It always seems a shame when the only physical memory we have of people is a gravestone. But sadly we have no photos of Albert or Harriet at the museum although we do have a little written information about Albert which has been seen on this blog. But here is the grave in Market Lavington churchyard.

image002 This side remembers Harriet and says, in loving memory of a beloved wife and mother HARRIET HISCOCK died 14th Sept 1954 aged 77.

And on the other side, Albert is remembered.

image004Also of her devoted husband ALBERT died 18th Jan 1955 aged 83.

Albert was born in Potterne in about 1872 but probably lived most of his pre-married life in the Fiddington/Easterton area. No doubt he learned his trade from his dad, Joseph, for Albert followed him into that business.

He married Harriet Plank towards the end of 1897.  She had been born in either Urchfont in about  1872 or West Lavington in about 1876. Her father was a cattle dealer.

The couple look to have set up home in Little Cheverell. By 1901 they had two sons listed as born there. In 1911 there were four more children which, according to the number of children born to the marriage made five in total. This could be because Eddy, the oldest child was born before the marriage.

We are not certain when the family moved back to Market Lavington but by 1939 they lived on White Street.

The aging Albert is reported to have thatched the barn near the top of Lavington Hill in 1947. Albert was still listed as at his Hillside House in 1954.

We’d love an image of Albert and/or  Harriet if anybody has one we could copy.



The Legg Family

January 28, 2014

Our curator does enjoy it when he gets requests for help or information. He looks upon it as a chance to increase his own knowledge.

A recent enquiry concerned members of the Legg family who lived in Market Lavington in the 18th and 19th centuries. The request, in particular, was about Elizabeth Legg who married John Palmer, clerk, of Calne at Market Lavington church on 13th October 1797. He became Reverend Palmer of Fordington in Dorset.

The Legg who we know about was John, a strange, reclusive character who wrote a treatise on bird migration which we have featured before on this blog. (Click here). John was the brother of Elizabeth and we knew the whereabouts of his memorial stone for it is walked over by all people who visit Market Lavington Church. It is inside the church and is dark and gloomy and hard to photograph and well-worn by close on a couple of hundred years of feet walking over it.

Early morning sun on 11th January saw our curator at the church with the doors flung open so that a bright sky could illuminate the grave.


The same stone mentions Elizabeth Palmer – perfect for our correspondent. He had told us that Elizabeth had left £100 in her will for a ‘handsome monument’ to the memory of herself, her brother John and her sisters Mary and Jane. This monument is high on the chancel wall.


It is certainly ‘handsome’


Sadly, the writing at the top has faded and at present is unreadable.

However, it is clear that Elizabeth saw no need to commemorate her oldest brother, Richard. We have a copy of the will of the father of this family, also Richard and certainly the younger Richard seems to do well in this.

This younger Richard’s daughter, another Elizabeth is commemorated on the Fowle memorial which is just outside the museum gate.


The Legg family were clearly in the gentry class. We know very little about them. Maybe we’ll learn more now.