Posts Tagged ‘High Street’

High Street from on high

July 21, 2016

This is certainly an unusual angle for a photo. It must have been taken by a workman on the roof of the Workman’s Hall. It’s a shame the light got in. It sometimes happened when a 35mm film was wound into the cassette – particularly to a first picture taken on a film. It’s also a shame there is damage on the other side of the picture but it still creates a good scene.

High Street from the roof of the Workman's Hall - 1980s

High Street from the roof of the Workman’s Hall – 1980s

Let’s attempt to date the picture. The fact that it is in colour almost certainly means the earliest it comes from is the 1970s. Zooming right in we think the red car has a V registration. These were issued from August 1979 so that probably makes the photo a 1980s one.

On the left hand side there is the former Parish Room built in 1908. It was demolished in 1996 to make space for extensions to the nursing home. Its demise was regretted at the time, but these days, with our wonderful Community Hall – well equipped, well heated and with a car park, we can all see that time was up for the old room.

We look along High Street towards and beyond the old Congregational Church – who now make use of the Community Hall.

image003

image004

We can also see some of the mysteries behind the even older chapel on the left with Ivy Lodge peeping through the trees.

It was very thoughtful of the photographer to make use of his vantage point for this photo.

High Street East

February 18, 2016

This photo was one which Don allowed us to copy recently. It shows the far end of High Street in Market Lavington, away from the village centre and looking towards Easterton.

The east end of Market Lavington High Street

The east end of Market Lavington High Street

We are looking down, past the Congregational Church and can note the presence of a thatched roof amongst the houses on the right.

A High Street house with a thatched roof

A High Street house with a thatched roof

The house immediately on the left, with the man outside and roof windows is now number 49.

Number 49 High Street with a man posing for the camera

Number 49 High Street with a man posing for the camera

There is the vaguest chance that somebody might recognise this chap as one of their ancestors.

We believe this photo dates from around 1910 but basically it is a timeless scene. Even the fact that this is a posted card doesn’t help for as often happens, somebody in the past steamed off the stamp taking the postmark with it.

The back of the card

The back of the card

All of the people mentioned in this message are members of the Coleman family and all had lived, or still did live in Market Lavington.

Behind the Workman’s Hall

December 19, 2015

Rear views of buildings can reveal a less high quality look as compared with the front. We recall it being said, once upon a time that if you wanted to see countryside then travel by train but for towns make sure you are on the road.

Here we have a back view of buildings on High Street, taken from The Clays. Early and unfulfilled railway plans might have seen a railway line in this area.

image002

Behind the Workman’s Hall in 1971

First, we’d better admire the fine garden in the foreground. That looks to be doing quite well.

The building to the right in this photo is the Workman’s Hall.

image003

The Workman’s Hall

We can see the arch leading through to High Street and we can also see evidence of change to the building in the brickwork. This building opened its doors, as a temperance hall, in the 1860s. There was a resident caretaker who, amongst other things would have kept the clock which faced onto High Street wound up. At times the hall was quite successful but most people were not part of the temperance movement. They might enjoy the food on offer and the games and books they could use, but many slipped out to a local pub for a drink. These days the hall is used for our wonderful village library and by the scouts.

Before the hall was built this area had been the works of William Cambridge, iron founder and maker of steam engines and best known for inventing a clod crushing agricultural roller still known as a Cambridge roller.

Behind 38 High Street

Behind 38 High Street

Other buildings on High Street do not show off their best side. The large barn like building on the left was a maltings at one time. We have featured that before on this blog. Click here.

This photo dates from 1971.

Market Lavington High Street in 1837

October 17, 2015

This is another sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow, brother of the then Vicar of Market Lavington.

Market Lavington High Street in 1837 - a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow

Market Lavington High Street in 1837 – a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow

This shows the High Street. Philip was standing more or less outside where the Workmans’ Hall now stands. But at this time, the building on the left was the home and workplace of William Cambridge. He was the inventive iron founder, who back then was making portable steam engines and exporting them around the world, and also devising a clod crushing agricultural roller which still gets used today and is still called a Cambridge roller.

Straight ahead, the buildings which form the Co-op now still look correct although the right hand gable end was demolished years ago.

On the right hand side of the road, just beyond the trees is Greystone House which still looks much the same today.

The area on the right, between Greystone House and the artist has all changed and changed more than once since then.

Set back from the road we see what looks a lovely house, possibly a farm house. At the museum we didn’t know of the existence of that house before seeing the sketch. It had probably gone 10 years after Philip produced this sketch and it was replaced by a brand new and grand vicarage for our Reverend Wynell Mayow to live in. Then, in the early years of the 20th century the Parish Room was built along the street.

All of that area is now a part of the nursing home. The Parish Room has gone but the mid-19th century Vicarage is at the heart of the home still.

Along the High Street – 1960s

October 7, 2015

We have recently acquired this postcard which we believe was taken by Peter Francis, probably from his upstairs window which was above his Church Street shop. The picture, however, shows the crossroads and High Street.

Along Market Lavington High Street in the 1960s

Along Market Lavington High Street in the 1960s

Let’s start on the left.

image003

Here we have what had become the Post Office. Oh dear! The Parsonage Lane sign was falling off.

image004

Let’s hope it was quickly refixed.

image005

It looks as though A R Rees had the shop. The Stop sign is actually for the end of Parsonage Lane. In those days, with no Grove Road, Parsonage Lane had to cater for traffic in both directions.

image006

Looking a little further up the street – we think it says Little on what closed as the Newsagent last year and we can clearly see that Lloyds Bank were in business as well.

image007

It’s just possible that people might be recognised.

image008

Looking a bit further round, we’ll start with that light – a single street lamp suspended over the middle of the cross roads. Beneath it, the car looks like a 1950s built Austin. We can see that the Agricultural Engineers had removed the buildings on the corner of the Market Place and we also see a Midland Bank sign on the next building. There is also a Walls ice cream sign there. A Pepsi sign adorns the corner of Chapel Lane.

image009

A couple of girls with a dog are just rounding the corner onto White Street. It’s possible they could be recognised.

What a great picture of Market Lavington High Street about 50 years ago.

Pencil and Paint

September 11, 2015

Our blog title today is about one section of the Museum Miscellany this year. The event takes places on Saturday 3rd October in Market Lavington’s wonderful Community Hall. Tickets, for the event, on sale at Market Lavington Post Office have been held at just a fiver for the sixth consecutive year.

The pencil and paint section features work by artists in Market Lavington and Easterton over a span of close on 200 years. The earliest images – elegant pencil sketches – date from the 1830s and are by Philip Wynell Mayow whose brother was Vicar of Market Lavington at the time.

Here’s an example of his work.

1837 sketch showing the High Street in Market Lavington

1837 sketch showing the High Street in Market Lavington

This shows the High Street in Market Lavington and we are looking towards the Co-op.

Greystone House is on the right as we look down towards the Co-op

Greystone House is on the right as we look down towards the Co-op

The sketch is located and dated.

image004

It says Market Lavington 1 June 1837.

Looking at the whole sketch it is the buildings on extreme left and right that are most interesting. On the left is a house where the Workmans’ Hall now stands. That house was almost certainly the home of William Cambridge, the inventor of the Cambridge Roller still used by farmers.

On the right and set back from the road there is a rather pleasing looking house. Like William Cambridge’s home that has gone. It is where the nursing home stands now and predates the building of the oldest part of that home.

Our Reverend Mayow must have lived at the original Parsonage on Parsonage Lane at this time for at the heart of the nursing home there is the Vicarage which replaced the Parsonage Lane one.

You can see more of these images, and others showing people as well as places at the Miscellany. The Mayow sketches offer us a good view of village scenes long before the age of photography. They recreate some areas that changed long ago.

Absolute magic.

The Nursing Home – Then and Now

May 2, 2015

Actually, our then photo is not from so very long ago. The Nursing home, in the old Vicarage building, was well established and in 1996 it was expanding. The old Parish Room had been demolished to improve the entrance and new accommodation was being built to cater for the needs of all sorts of elderly folk. In the summer of 1996 it was one big building site as seen in this photo.

Extensions being built at the nursing home in 1996

Extensions being built at the nursing home in 1996

The one person in the photo, in white shirt and tie, is presumably a site manager, checking the plans.

These days we might assume he was checking something on his smart phone, but such things, ubiquitous though they are now, were barely in use at all back then.

The former Vicarage is clearly visible and other buildings have that rather harsh look of brand new structures. But things soon mellow and eleven years on in 2007 we see a very similar view.

Nursing home in 2007

Nursing home in 2007

By then there was a neat and tidy entrance to the site. People are even less in evidence than they were in the building site photo but actually, the nursing home is quite a vibrant community and, as far as possible, very much part of our local community.

 

 

 

The Co-op in times past

October 15, 2014

Today we have a postcard which shows a part of the High Street in times past. The card was posted in 1910.

Market Lavington High Street on a card posted in 1910

Market Lavington High Street on a card posted in 1910

If we start on the left we can see what was then and still is the butcher’s shop. The building just beyond that, with the arched underpass has been demolished and stood at the entrance to what we now call Woodland Yard. Further down the street we can see the dark looking sign for the Kings Arms pub – now converted into housing and beyond it, with the windows in the roof there is Red House. From then on we look into Church Street leading down to the building with the gable end facing the road which was another butcher’s shop back then.

The curvature of the road hides much of the right side of the street. We can see the light coloured building which is the present Co-op and beyond that was Alf Burgess’s shop which had his little photographic studio behind it.

Let’s look at some detail.

The weighbridge - just outside what is now Woodland Yard

The weighbridge – just outside what is now Woodland Yard

This is the weighbridge which stood outside that arch near the butcher’s shop. It appears to have writing cast into the weighing platform but I’m afraid we can’t make that out. Maybe a weighbridge expert can tell us more.

Below we show a part of what is now the Co-op. It appears to say, above the window, something like A R Hole and Sons. We have no record of this name or anything we can read it as. Once again, we seek enlightenment.

image005

For completeness, let’s look at the other side of the card which as the message written upside down just to make it a bit more awkward for the postman to read.

image007

We can see that Fred sent a brief message to his Ma – Mrs Claridge – on August 17th 1910. The card was posted in Market Lavington.

Market Lavington High Street in 1957

May 24, 2014

We have a rather good photo card today, looking roughly east, from the Market Place and along High Street in Market Lavington. The card was purchased on 5th August 1957 so may have been taken in an earlier year.

Market Lavington High Street in about 1957

Market Lavington High Street in about 1957

On the right hand side we see The Green Dragon. Back then, of course, it had the porch which went right across the pavement – and very splendid it looked. We also note the enamelled Wadworth sign for Northgate Beer. We also see a sign up for the Hotel car park. What we don’t see, in this shot from 57 years ago are cars, apart from one parked up away in the distance.

The left hand side of the road is of interest. We could start with that school sign – the old one showing the torch of learning. We don’t think that symbol would convey any meaning to today’s youngsters.

And where was the school along there?  Probably it was in the Parish Room. We know that Mrs Elisha taught her infants in the Parish Room – there not being enough space in the main building. There was a class, too, in the old Quaker chapel further along High Street.

The first building on the left was Harry Hobbs’s shop. He has a sign out for ice cream.

image003

Old school sign and Harry Hobbs’s shop

 

We can’t read what brand of ice cream it was.

image005

The purchaser of this card recorded the date of purchase and then a whole series of dates on which he had ‘seen’ it.

High Street – 1890s

March 18, 2014

This photo certainly looks to be one of the oldest we have of Market Lavington High Street.

Market Lavington High Street in the 1890s

Market Lavington High Street in the 1890s

There’s a square section in the roadway on the left, just this side of the very darkly dressed man. Does anyone know what that was?

Actually, despite being taken some 120 years ago, the photograph shows a left hand side of the street which is little changed. We are looking at what is now the front of the take away, then Kite’s Cottage and we can clearly see the sign for The Kings Arms. Beyond that is the Red House and the view on into Church Street looks much the same.

On the right we have what is now the Co-op but the extreme right hand part of the building has been demolished. The street curves, taking other buildings out of sight.

We do not have a photographer’s name but the photo has the style of an Alf Burgess photo.

How splendid to have such an early image.