Posts Tagged ‘map’

Andrews and Dury

June 1, 2016

Messrs Andrews and Dury produced a reasonably accurate survey of Wiltshire back in 1773. In 1952 the Records Branch of the Wiltshire Archaeological Society published a copy of the map in book form. Market Lavington Museum has just acquired a copy of this book – a book which sold for 25 shillings in 1952 which made it an expensive purchase at the time. Our copy has an original, if rather careworn dust jacket.

Andrews' and Drury' Map of Wiltshire - 1773

Andrews’ and Dury’ Map of Wiltshire – 1773

How splendid to see the bustard in use as an emblem of Wiltshire over 60 years ago – long after the native population ended and long before the species was reintroduced.

But of course it is the maps, covering all of Wiltshire which are of real interest, and particularly, for us, the area around Market Lavington

The Lavington area

The Lavington area

The first thing to note is that there was no Market Lavington. Andrews and Dury have clearly called it East Lavington.

image005

One of the features of the map is that the gentry get named so we can see that Henry Chiver Vince had Cleeve Hall – now Clyffe Hall. Fiddington was clearly not considered the home of gentry since no name is given. Fiddington was written as Feddenton. Broad Well, of course, we still know but the Lime kiln has long gone although the last vestiges of Lime Kiln Farm hung on into the 1960s.

We get some information on Salisbury Plain.

image006

Easterton Ponds, later, became the site of Pond Farm and the East Lavington Pond was about where New Farm was built. We find the direction post where the road from Market Lavington met the one from Easterton fascinating. Getting lost on Salisbury Plain was a hazard. People who got lost often starved, unable to find their way. A direction post would have been very useful.

Returning to the north of the parish and area we can see that Dr Batters had Fiddington Common and Seymour Wroughton had a property in Eastcott and also Maggots Castle.

image007

Only one small part of one page is truly relevant to our patch but we think this book is a great addition to our collection.

 

A Tom Gye sketch map

September 19, 2015

It still feels impossible to think that we no longer have the direct wisdom of Tom Gye to draw upon. As one of the oldest residents he had such a wealth of knowledge about so many things.

But at least we have examples of writing he has done and just recently we were given a sketch map drawn by Tom which shows field names in part of the parish of Market Lavington.

Tom Gye sketch of some fields in the parish. Click it to open a larger version.

Tom Gye sketch of some fields in the parish. Click it to open a larger version.

 To locate just where this sketch covers, find Spin Hill, Ledge Hill and Kings Road, all of which exist on modern maps.

If the sketch is too small then do click on it to open an enlarged version.

There we have Selfe Lane – the footpath from Spin Hill to ‘5 Ways’. You can note a field called Dragon Ground and another is Frogmoor.

This map was sent, by Tom, to a friend and he has given it to the museum along with the accompanying letter, dated in 1989.

image004

Letter to accompany the map

How wonderful that Tom can still provide help albeit it now has to be help from the past.

Market Place – 1914

December 26, 2014

We do not know who drew out this map, but it gives us a good idea of what our village Market Place was like 100 years ago. And that, of course, was nothing like it is today!

A plan of Market Lavington Market Place dated 1914

A plan of Market Lavington Market Place dated 1914

The added words tell a story. Let’s start with ‘The Market House’ – still standing. And yes, it is still standing but it is the only building shown surrounding the Market Place which is in situ in 2014. Buildings that front onto High Street are still there in most cases.

It is interesting to see that the hill down Northbrook from the Market Place was called St James’s Hill. We are tempted to say it is a name that hasn’t survived.

Alongside that hill in rather small writing it tells us we had ‘Doctor’s house – demolished 1920s.

Doctor Lush lived here

Doctor Lush lived here

The fire station was sited in a building that would have been closely adjacent to the current Co-op building.

The Fire Station opened onto High Street

The Fire Station opened onto High Street

Malt houses had been a major feature of Market Lavington but many had gone out of use by this time and other uses were being found.

image005

This area is now Rochelle Court

 

And for those of us for whom Sayer’s Bus Depot and Wordley’s mean nothing, in 2014 this area is Rochelle Court.

What a handy plan this is. It certainly helps us to understand what the Market Place was like in the past.

Grove Farm Plans

December 7, 2014

This plan has recently turned up at Market Lavington Museum. We do not know its origins, but it looks, perhaps, to have been part of some kind of school project display, produced by an adult. The plan shows the area we generally call Grove Farm.

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

Just north of the main road we can see the main farm buildings. This is the area now occupied by the Community Hall. The map is not strictly accurate. The church and churchyard do not reach Parsonage Lane (the road running roughly north) by quite a long shot. For one thing, our museum is in that area.

We can see the site of chicken houses, the pumping station and an area sold for housing. That must be Canada Rise, just above Beechwood.

The plan is somewhat textured. An area near the top has hay stuck on it.

The plan came with a second sheet with added information.

image004

There’s slightly too much for one photo.

image006

And then there’s a cross section map.

image008

We are fairly confident this information dates from very close to 1970. Mr Ron Francis died in 1969 and Canada Rise was being constructed in 1971.

We also think it is a lovely record of a farm which has entirely vanished.

Easterton Manor Grounds in 1925

July 12, 2012

In 1925 the Williams family owned what was left of the Easterton Manor Estate. Today we look at a map which indicated the ground owned by John William Morgan Williams in 1925.

It’s a long thin map and, please note, north is not at the top.

Map showing land owned by J W M Williams of Easterton in 1925

Field names do tend to go out of use. It is good to see what fields were called almost 90 years ago.

The area around Easterton Manor House

Here we have Easterton Manor House, roughly central. The main road through the village passes between the house and Court Close. Other fields named are The Moor, Clarks Ground or Townsend, Cow Lease and Malthouse & Tilleys Close. Only Mr Williams’ land is named. Those are the areas in red.

Other fields are scattered over the area to the North East of the manor and include Crossway Ground, Sheep House Ground, Tumble Down, Bakers Down and  Great Ground.

Across the railway we find that John Williams also had The Crofts, Short Marsh, Broad Mead and Common Grounds.

Another Fine Map

April 10, 2012

A map, recently acquired by Market Lavington Museum has its date fixed very precisely by the statement, ‘Railway in Course of Construction’.

Map of Market Lavington with 'Railway in Course of Construction' - so dating from the very end of the nineteenth century

Our local railway was a late build line. It didn’t open until 1900 so the map must have been produced in about 1899. It is clearly based on the Ordnance Survey, but has been used by a West Lavington estate to show their property – colour washed in red. The brickworks in Market Lavington, at the left of this section of map, is so marked. We know the brickworks was in the hands of the Holloway family at that time.

That part of the map shows it is made up of sections pasted on to a cloth backing. As luck would have it, the map covers virtually all of the Market Lavington and Easterton parishes at a scale of 6 miles to the inch.

Here, in the extreme south of the parish, is Candown Farm.

Candown Farm, Market Lavington

We can see that Candown Farm is close to the 400 feet contour line.

At the opposite end of the parishes there is Wroughton’s Folly – almost in Urchfont.

Wroughton's Folly - almost in Urchfont

The route heading from southwest to northeast in the top left corner is the route of the railway line. Seymour Wroughton’s grand house – which fell down long before the coming of the railway – can be clearly located.

Let’s return to Salisbury Plain, but in Fiddington and Easterton.

Fiddington Farm and Easterton Hill Farm

These two farms are close together, but in different parishes. They are 500 or more feet above sea level.

Of course, the villages are well shown on the map, too. This is not only Market Lavington and Easterton – remember, the map is showing property in West Lavington. Looking at the whole map obviously locates the positions of the isolated pieces shown here.

Maps

January 29, 2012

Our curator can’t help loving maps. He goes into raptures when new maps are given to the museum. Just recently, he was ecstatic because not one, but four maps arrived. These are big scale maps with 25 inches on the map representing a mile of real ground. Maps on this scale can show individual buildings, trees and field boundaries. No wonder they are such a fantastic resource.

The maps in question all date from the 1930s. They carry dates from 1936 to 1939. The maps provide a wonderful snapshot of what our area was like in the run up to the Second World War.

The centre of Market Lavington on the 1936 map

One map shows the bulk of the middle of Market Lavington. It is big enough to show the main street in Easterton as well.

This zoom in shows our museum building, more or less at the centre of the map.

Market Lavington Museum building is at the centre of this part of the map

This section shows a much changed area – The Brick and Tile Works was still extant at this time. Some of the buildings still remain, but the clay pit has been filled and landscaped. Earlier maps pre-date the railway line which runs across this survey.

The Lavington brick works, the railway and West Park Farm, Market Lavington

This section of map is outside Market Lavington but shows the station which served the area. It also shows the site of the Cheverell brick works and its little tramway line.

Strictly, out of our area, but here we see Lavington Railway Station and the brick works at Cheverell

These maps help fill a gap in our time scale, allowing us to see what had changed before and what has changed since their publication.

A fascinating map

January 23, 2012

Old map of Market Lavington. South is at the top of the map

For people used to our wonderful Ordnance Survey maps, it can be hard to get your head round this one. The arrow at the left points south. South is roughly at the top of the map, the opposite of what might be expected. That means west is to the right and east to the left. It’s confusing.

Let’s try to get our bearings. The main road through the village is marked ‘from Urchfont’ at the left and ‘to Westbury’ at the right. It has M Lavington in bold along it.

There is a wooded area close by the road, called The Ham. That’s the name of the residential close which now occupies that area.

The interest in this map lies in the way there used to be many different roads or tracks. For example, what is now regarded as a footpath, starting from The Hollow at the foot of Lavington Hill, is marked as the road to Warminster. This would have involved getting up the hill in West Lavington and on via Imber.

There are interesting area names as well. The strip of land alongside the road up Lavington Hill appears to be called Hoofles Common.

We don’t actually have a date for this map. Can anybody help us?

Grove Farm for sale.

October 11, 2011

Grove Farm, as a farm in Market Lavington no longer exists. The site of the farmhouse is close to where the Community Hall now stands and the Grove Farm housing now occupies the local fields.

Back in 1916, the farm came up for sale as a going concern. As was normal, the sale was an auction – to try to make sure the houses and land fetched their market value.

The front of the sales catalogue for Grove Farm, market Lavington in 1916

Interestingly, lot number 1 in the 20 lot auction was not the farm at all. It was the building we now know as The Rectory.

Lot 1 was the house we now know as The Rectory, Market Lavington

This was being sold with Alfie Alexander as the sitting tenant. The hand written note suggests that Mr Alexander was able to buy the property for £415.

Of particular interest is that acetylene gas is laid on for lighting. We have looked at the Lavington gas works before on this site. Click here to see it.

The farm itself, in three lots, was also sold to a sitting tenant.

In this case it was Mr Watts who was able to buy the farm, a walled garden and the home field for £770.

A map was included with the sale brochure – a detailed map which is a real treasure.

Just a small part of the map included with the sale brochure for Grove Farm in 1916

We may see more from this and other sales brochures in the future.

Saint James’ Square

February 6, 2011

The Market Place area of Market Lavington is one of the most changed in the village. This map view gives an idea of what it was like at the end of the nineteenth century.

Late 19th century map showing the Market Place at Market Lavington

The Market takes centre stage in this map. On the right of the market was the Post Office in a row of Tudor buildings, now, mostly demolished. At the back (just above the word ‘MARKET’ was the doctor’s house which was demolished quite early in the 20th century. On the left, by the letter P was a small square of houses known as St James’ Square. The square has featured before on these pages – celebrating the 1935 Silver Jubilee and also remembered as the home of an evacuee in World War II.

The old Market Place was completely altered in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and then again around 1990, when Rochelle Court was built. The modern aerial view of the Market Place is significantly different from the old map view.

Modern aerial view of the Market Place

St James’ Square has entirely vanished. It went in about 1958.

Pictures show the old square during demolition.

St James' Square being demolished in 1958 - photos at Market Lavington Museum

We’d love to hear from people who have memories of St James’ Square. Do contact our curator.