Posts Tagged ‘Market Lavington’

A School photo

February 13, 2016

School photos usually arouse interest – particularly those recent enough for those photographed to be recognised as friends, relatives or even, perhaps the person looking at this blog.

Here is such a photo.

image002

This photo was taken in the little playground at The Old School and features at the back Mr Pickering.

We have the names of many of the youngsters as well.

Back row (left to right); C. Bishop, not yet known, S Chapman, S Heywood, K Scott, A Greening, F Carmichael, not yet known, P King.

Middle row (left to right); not yet known, not yet known, White, Baker, Steel, J Hancock, not yet known.

Front row (left to right); Peter Bolton, C Rose, not yet known, Eldridge, not yet known, D Baker, not yet known.

Of course we hope people out there will fill in the details. We estimate the year at about 1960 but again, we hope a reader will give us precision there.

Fred Sayer and Jess Trotter

January 19, 2016

Fred and Jess were both Market Lavington people when they married in the spring of 1929. A photo of the couple in their wedding finery has recently been given to the museum. (Thanks, Jim).

Jessica Hester L Trotter was the daughter of William Trotter and his wife Jessie. She was actually born at Lydd in Kent in about 1906 but by the time of the 1911 census the family lived in Market Lavington. William was landlord at the Volunteer Arms on Church Street where he also ran a coal and firewood business.

Frederick Herbert Sayer was born in about 1905 in Bath. His father, also Fred Sayer was a bus driver and in 1911 the family lived in Nailsworth but very soon after they moved to Market Lavington. When Fred took over as owner of the Lavington Motor Services the yard of the Volunteer Arms became his HQ for a while. Jess and Fred must have known each other since they were well under ten years old.

Childhood friendship presumably turned to romance at some point, leading to that wedding in 1929.

Fred Sayer and jess Trotter in their wedding finery in 1929

Fred Sayer and Jess Trotter in their wedding finery in 1929

What a handsome couple!

Another photo from Jim shows the couple outside a house. The couple look a little older, but we have no idea as to the location.

image004

We know that Jess died in the Salisbury district in 1992. Fred probably died earlier, possibly in the Southampton area.

 

Heading up White Street

December 20, 2015

We have seen military men marching up White Street in Market Lavington more than once on this blog. Today we have a piece of military hardware.

Military hardware on White Street, Market Lavington

Military hardware on White Street, Market Lavington

This tracked vehicle has just passed Hollow Cottage as it heads up towards the military ranges. A couple of officers appear to be in charge of the vehicle, sitting and standing in a low position which would be exposed in a combat situation. A smiling soldier would, perhaps, be in charge of the gun.

I’m afraid we have no idea what this vehicle is. If we knew that it might help us to put a rough date on the photo.

Come on! Give a Christmas present to the museum and tell us about this vehicle.

White Street – 1980s

December 15, 2015

As ever with White Street we have to determine which one. Easterton and Market Lavington both have one and West Lavington has another. This one is the Market Lavington White Street.

One of the interesting questions about this photo is, ‘where was it taken from?’

Interesting view of White Street, Market Lavington in the 1980s

Interesting view of White Street, Market Lavington in the 1980s

It is a high vantage point and immediately, on the right, we have ‘The Loose Box’ which was Tom and Peggy Gye’s last home. Was this taken from the large beech tree which occupied the front of Beech House? If so, perhaps it was taken as that tree was dismantled bit by bit.

On the right side of White Street, between the white fronted buildings and the low level structure there is the entrance to Gye’s Yard. Later, that single storey building became Pat Wilshin’s ‘Lavington Services’ shop – still much missed in the village.

This shed became the Lavington Services shop

This shed became the Lavington Services shop

Above that area and near the cedar tree is the Old House, set back on Parsonage Lane.

The Old House on Parsonage Lane

The Old House on Parsonage Lane

The Market Lavington Museum building is central in this image

The Market Lavington Museum building is central in this image

The museum building was visible from here – we see the gable end in the centre of this image with the tall (and now removed) chimney. And further to the left is the church which looks as though it might have been having roof repairs to the chancel end.

St Mary's Church and chimneys

St Mary’s Church and chimneys

What a wonderful myriad collection of chimney pots!

 

The Spring in 1961

December 9, 2015

Some of us remember 1961 as the year which could be turned upside down and it still said 1961. And here for fun, is a quiz question. When was the previous year when this was the case and when will the next be?

But now down to purpose. We are looking, today, at The Spring in that topsy-turvy year.

The Spring in 1961 - before the bungalows were built

The Spring in 1961 – before the bungalows were built

We were at the dawning of the era of mass car ownership but at that time front gardens of Spring Houses on the right had not been turned into car spaces. The one car we see (is it a Wolseley?) appears to be making use of the pavement for parking. Just possibly it was a builder pondering on putting up some bungalows in that area.

The view is towards West Lavington and shows this route as being very much in the countryside. Earlier photos do not show a pavement. We think (but seek confirmation) that this was put in for the opening of the secondary school which was in 1961.

Mary Davidge and Louisa Hibberd

October 18, 2015

We don’t need a reason for showing this charming photo of a couple of ladies enjoying the sunshine. But the photo was taken at 21 Spin Hill in Market Lavington despite the somewhat seaside look of deck chairs and a smallish spade. And Mary was a Market Lavington lady. Both ladies seem to have borrowed hats from the men.

Mary Davidge and Louisa Hibberd in Market Lavington - possibly 1920s

Mary Davidge and Louisa Hibberd in Market Lavington – possibly 1920s

Mary Davidge was a Hibberd by her West Lavington birth but she married Edward Davidge in 1888 and at some point he got a job at the brickworks and the Davidge family moved into one of the Brickworks Cottages at Broadway.

Louisa Hibberd may have been a sister of Mary’s or possibly a sister in law. We really haven’t located who she was.

Neither do we have a date for the picture but we’d guess at 1920s.

Any further information would be gratefully received.

Market Lavington High Street in 1837

October 17, 2015

This is another sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow, brother of the then Vicar of Market Lavington.

Market Lavington High Street in 1837 - a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow

Market Lavington High Street in 1837 – a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow

This shows the High Street. Philip was standing more or less outside where the Workmans’ Hall now stands. But at this time, the building on the left was the home and workplace of William Cambridge. He was the inventive iron founder, who back then was making portable steam engines and exporting them around the world, and also devising a clod crushing agricultural roller which still gets used today and is still called a Cambridge roller.

Straight ahead, the buildings which form the Co-op now still look correct although the right hand gable end was demolished years ago.

On the right hand side of the road, just beyond the trees is Greystone House which still looks much the same today.

The area on the right, between Greystone House and the artist has all changed and changed more than once since then.

Set back from the road we see what looks a lovely house, possibly a farm house. At the museum we didn’t know of the existence of that house before seeing the sketch. It had probably gone 10 years after Philip produced this sketch and it was replaced by a brand new and grand vicarage for our Reverend Wynell Mayow to live in. Then, in the early years of the 20th century the Parish Room was built along the street.

All of that area is now a part of the nursing home. The Parish Room has gone but the mid-19th century Vicarage is at the heart of the home still.

The Church and the Cottage

October 11, 2015

Today we feature another of the wonderful sketches by Philip Wynell Mayow. This one, like many of them, was drawn in 1837.

Market Lavington Church - a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow drawn in 1837

Market Lavington Church – a sketch by Philip Wynell Mayow drawn in 1837

We are looking at the northwest corner in this image. Our artist was standing somewhere near the path that leads up from the Community Hall to the church although that whole area was completely remodelled when the Community Hall was built. The church, from that angle, is comparatively unchanged but to the left of it there was a cottage, or maybe two cottages.

Long gone cottages by the churchyard

Long gone cottages by the churchyard

There is no trace of this building today and nor has there been in living memory – unless you know different.

But once again, we can see the building on the tithe map of 1840.

Then tithe map does show the building

Then tithe map does show the building

On this part of the map number 76 is the church so 78 is where that cottage stands. The cottage itself is number 77. The apportionment lists number 77 as two cottages belonging to Henry Legg and Elizabeth Legg and occupied by James Brown and John Douval.

The surrounding area 78 actually belonged to Duncan Pleydell Bouverie but was in the possession of Thomas Fowle.

So we have another great image which is bringing to life a forgotten part of our village.

Three working men

October 5, 2015

This photo is in the collection at Market Lavington Museum. It shows three men, very much dressed for work.

image002

We know the names of the three men for they are on the back of the photo.

image004

They are Perce or Percy Notton, Albert Cooper and Stanley (Stan) Cooper.

We believe the location could be at Fred Sayer’s bus depot which was in the Market Place.

Perce Notton was born in 1900. His father was a Baker and shopkeeper on High Street. It looks as though Percy lived at home until at least 1939. When he died, in 1958, the death was registered in the Marlborough area.

Albert Cooper may well have been born around 1878. He was married to Annie and worked at the brickworks as shown on both 1901 and 1911 censuses. He died in 1940.

Stan Cooper was not an immediate relative of Alberts although they may well have been some kind of cousins. He was born around 1914 and in adult life he lived with his sister. He died in 1997.

On that basis we think the photo dates from the late 1930s.

As ever, we’d love to know more.

 

 

Alfie buys some land

September 28, 2015

There’s no doubt that Alfie Alexander was one of the characters in our part of the world. He had an uncanny ability to hobnob with the great and good whilst also being something of a radical in many ways. He was always on the lookout for ways to earn just that bit more and one thing he did was refuse removal from the village. Rumour had it that he used to dump the refuse on a patch of land he had ‘up at the sands’ so perhaps this document tells us where the land was.

Let’s take a look at a few details from this document.

Document showing Alfred Alexander owns land in 1931

Document showing Alfred Alexander owns land in 1931

We can see it is dated 1931 and is a document showing that Alfie had purchased a plot of land.

These legal documents do not lend themselves well to the blog format so we’ll show a bit and explain the rest.

image004

This is far too small to read, but as ever, you can click on the image to open an enlarged version.

This tells us that Alfie actually bought this land in 1917 from a person called George Grant Stevenson. Alfie paid £425 for it.

The document lists other transfers of ownership before this date and financial arrangements from 1917 onwards.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the document is the little map, drawn out on tracing paper.

Map showing the location of the land

Map showing the location of the land

From this we see that Alfie acquired the parts shaded in pink. This area lines Ledge Hill near the junction with King’s Road and thus had good access.

It could have been the ideal place to dump rubbish and it might have pleased Alfie’s radical views that it was close by the Manor Gate House.