Posts Tagged ‘newsagent’

The Newsagent

November 1, 2014

Sadly, our village newsagent shut up shop for the final time recently. The Davis family had been selling papers and magazines in the village for forty or more years. For much of that time Keith ran the business single handed. Newspaper selling always involved very early mornings and as a sole operator, Keith had to work into the evenings to keep his paper work up to date. It was seven days a week, of course and pretty well every day of the year. Keith has been tied to that business for a very long time, unable to get away for holidays or to really follow his own interests.  We are sure all of the village will wish him well in his well-earned retirement.

But today we’ll look back to the year 2000 and a millennium photo that was taken of workers at the shop.

Here we see Keith outside his shop with four young delivery men who are Craig Hale, Matthew Hale, Richard Penney and Ian Gregory.

 

Keith Davis and the delivery lads outside the Market Lavington newsagents in the year 2000

Keith Davis and the delivery lads outside the Market Lavington newsagents in the year 2000

And here, taken shortly before Keith retired, we see him in familiar pose in the shop.

Keith in the shop in 2014, before retirement

Keith in the shop in 2014, before retirement

Newspapers can still be bought in Market Lavington for the Co-op now sells them.

The Kings Arms

March 5, 2014

 

Until a few years ago Market Lavington had three pubs. The Kings Arms on High Street, opposite the newsagents closed some five years ago and the area is now used as a number of houses, some in the pub itself and others in what was the pub yard.

Today we are looking at a photo which dates from a time when the village had at least five pubs – the early years of the twentieth century. It shows the Kings Arms pub along High Street.

The Kings Arms, Market Lavington - an early 20th century photo

The Kings Arms, Market Lavington – an early 20th century photo

The most obvious part of the picture is the pub sign.

The landlord was Fred Simpson

The landlord was Fred Simpson

That’s handsomely written in raised writing and it carries the name of Fred Simpson. We assume he was the landlord but sadly the name crops up nowhere else in our annals. We have no other record of the man at the museum and he doesn’t appear on censuses.

So, the inevitable question – is there anyone out there who can tell us more about Fred Simpson?

Next to the former pub is the cottage many of us refer to as Kyte’s Cottage – and even that is having a new dwelling built in the back garden at the moment. In this photo it has a sign on it which we can just make out.

image005

Mr Whitchurch’s name was on the shop next to the Kings Arms

Part of the name is hard to read, but we know that the man who had this shop was Mr Whitchurch but he was a druggist. However, in 1911 his married daughter was a newsagent and confectioner and his widow still lived in the house. Mr Whitchurch had died in 1906.

We think the photo dates from before 1911 but again, we’d appreciate any further ideas from our readers.