Posts Tagged ‘Old House’

The Old House

February 26, 2016

Philip Wynell Mayow was the brother of the Vicar of Market Lavington. This was back in 1837/38 and Philip must have stayed with his brother. Philip was an accomplished sketcher and it is thanks to him that we have a number of fascinating views of the village that predate photography. We have seen several of them on this blog and here we have another – a view of the Old House.

The Old House, Market Lavington - a sketch by Philip Wynell mayow

The Old House, Market Lavington – a sketch by Philip Wynell mayow

This has its caption on it.

The sketch is dated to 1838

The sketch is dated to 1838

It is just labelled Market Lavington 1838 but we know this is The Old House which remains much unchanged to this day. The Old House is a grade 1 listed building and the listing citation reads:

Manor house. Early C14, C16, remodelled late C17-early C18 and restored 1875. Rough casted stonework with some brick, originally with some timber framing. Tiled roofs. Two storeys, 2 ½ bays with cross wing at south-west end, rebuilt as double range wing.

Entrance within gabled porch of 1875 in angle with extended wing. Timber ovolo moulded C20 windows with diamond pattern leaded glazing. The eastern range has two added further wings to east with a secondary entrance on north side. Numerous gables.

Interior: The house contains an early medieval double aisled open hall structure with contemporary cross wing of 2 bays within a rectangular plan of stone walls. Half bay at north-east end probably contained cross passage, and services possibly in a separate structure beyond, now absent. Spere truss against passage and central truss of hall has large archbraces springing from outer walls to cambered collar between square set arcade plates. Crown post above with steep straight braces to upper collar and collar purlin. Trenches for former louvre near apex of rafters. Wall posts to stone wall dividing wing from hall. Roof over hall smoke blackened. Similar crown post truss to centre of wing. Fireplace, probably C16, inserted into cross passage, stone, with 4-centred arch and rounded arris. Secondary stair at side. Main stair in extension of wing forward, late C17-early C18, with turned balusters and heavy handrail, swept up at newels. Main drawing room in north-west corner, formerly the wing, has C17 oak panelling and cornice, the ceiling divided by deep chamfered cross beams. Gable stacks. Centre dining room within former hall, has main fireplace, described above, and early C18 panelled dado. Room behind stack now kitchen. Chamber over dining room has bolection moulded fireplace in stone. Some C17 iron casement windows to first floor windows, with quadrant stays and turnbuckles. The only known aisled hall in the county.

No mention is made of the cedar tree in the listing, but we believe the existing tree is the one shown in the 1838 sketch. We are sure that Philip Wynell Mayow would instantly recognise the Old House today as being the building he sketched.

A display in the museum, for 2016 will show all of the Wynell Mayow sketches, enlarged to at least A4 size.

Ann at The Old House

August 3, 2014

One of Market Lavington’s more reclusive inhabitants was Ann Pleydell Bouverie. She descended from the Earl of Radnor and was a part of the family who owned the Manor of Market Lavington.

Ann herself was born around 1844 in the early years of Victoria’s reign.  By the time Ann died, in 1940, she was living in the reign of her fifth monarch. It is interesting to reflect on changes seen during such a long life.

In her early years, Market Lavington was still holding its weekly market on a Wednesday and the town – for it was considered as such back then, was a rival to Devizes. In 1857, Ann might have witnessed the opening of the branch line to Devizes – something which gave that market town a real edge over Market Lavington. The Lavingtons had to wait until 1900 for a railway line.

Power for any tasks that needed doing would have been by humans, animals, wind and water although having had steam engines built in the village, by William Cambridge probably meant that Ann would have seen some of them. We have no records of steam cars, but the internal combustion engine cars didn’t arrive until the twentieth century.

Ann was approaching 60 when the Wright brothers first flew an aeroplane. She was 70 when World War One broke out and into her nineties when the second world war began.

During her long life she’d have witnessed the arrival of electricity, the coming of the wireless, the invention of the gramophone and the telephone. No doubt she’d be gobsmacked now by how things have moved on.

And her she is, as an elderly lady, outside The Old House, where she had lived for some 60 or so years.

Ann Pleydell Bouverie outside The Old House in the 1930s

Ann Pleydell Bouverie outside The Old House in the 1930s

She looks very much the grand old lady, but she was rarely seen in public during her later life.

She is buried in Market Lavington church yard.

 

A Former Manorial Corner

March 11, 2014

Before the building of Roman Way and Saxon Close, some buildings in the village were more visible than they are today and that included an area where some of the larger structures stood – once places where the Lord of the Manor, Edward Pleydell Bouverie had influence. Our photo dates from 1992

The Barn House was built in the grounds of Market Lavington's Old House

The Barn House was built in the grounds of Market Lavington’s Old House

Here we are looking up from the valley of the Northbrook Stream with Ladywood behind us. The buildings we see have addresses on Parsonage Lane.

We can see the roof of The Old House in this 1992 photo

We can see the roof of The Old House in this 1992 photo

At the extreme right we can see the roof of The Old House where once the grand old lady, Miss Anne Pleydell Bouverie, held sway. The nearest building to us was known as ‘The Barn House’ in 1992. It had been built (a kit form, Swedish style house) in the grounds of The Old House.

image004

This view of The Barn House is now closed off by the Grove Farm Estate

Behind the Barn House, to the left, we see the end of what was then called The Fives Court but has now returned to its proper name of The Racquets Court. This was once the sporting playground of the Pleydell Bouverie family and their guests.

And to the right of the Barn House we see the barn – a venerable old barn which has seen so many uses over the centuries to include concerts, dances, religious services and, no doubt, storage of farm produce.

In The Old House

July 21, 2013

The Old House is truly an old house. Parts of it date from around 1270 although much has been altered and extended since then.

Photographs of the interior are almost as rare as hens’ teeth. Here is one of poor quality but good enough to give an idea.

Anne Pleydell  Bouverie in The Old House, Market Lavington. Probably in the 1930s

Anne Pleydell Bouverie in The Old House, Market Lavington. Probably in the 1930s

This photo shows Miss Anne Pleydell Bouverie sitting in a chair in a drawing room at the house. We can see portraits, pots and plates, books and elegant furniture. And in the middle, Anne is relaxing on a comfortable looking chair.

Anne was born in about 1844 in London. Her family were Lords of the Manor in Market Lavington. She remained a spinster and led an increasingly reclusive life at The Old House. She died in 1940 at the age of 96.