Posts Tagged ‘Old School’

A Patrick Manley pencil sketch

June 28, 2016

Patrick was well known, amongst other things, for sketches he made around Market Lavington around the end of the twentieth century. This one is certainly unusual in its view.

A Patrick Manley sketch of Market Lavington

A Patrick Manley sketch of Market Lavington

This is a framed picture we were recently given. It is behind glass and so is hard to photograph. Patrick has vignetted it by letting the image fade away to the bottom and right.

This sketch dates from 1997

This sketch dates from 1997

This view dates from March/April 1997.

Patrick’s viewpoint was probably the bottom of the courtyard at the museum building. Trees and shrubs have grown up which makes it hard to find the view today.

image006

Similar view in June 2016

This photo shows the window on the old school building which is visible on Patrick’s drawing but the rest is local greenery.

The viewpoint for Patrick would have been a little further to the left, but that area offered no view at all now. Back in 1997 he could see houses on both sides of Church Street.

It’s a lovely picture. Thanks go to the late Patrick Manley for capturing this little known corner of the village and to the donors who gave it to the museum.

 

The Old School

April 15, 2016

This post is inspired by two things. One is the recent architectural Survey which the Parish Council organised – a survey of the old school building.

This has been completed and comes as two fantastic booklets. The first gives some information about the building and its location and status and then becomes a present day (February 2016) photographic survey of all aspects of the building including the hidden roof structure.

Old School roof space

Old School roof space

 

Looking through the 34 pages here it would seem that nothing escaped the attention of the photographers and describers.

They spotted the decorative wall ventilators and say they are typical 19th century.

Old School ventilator

Old School ventilator

The second book concentrates on the documentary history of the building and includes some stunningly fantastic maps of the area.

image006

Old School on a 1910 map

This comes from the Inland Revenue survey of 1910.

We supplied some photos for the reports. One of them, rather old and battered dates from about 1870 and shows the school before the infant room extension was built on the front.

And that brings us to the second item to inspire this blog – a vastly better copy of the photo which had belonged to Peggy Gye, our museum founder.

Old School in 1870

Old School in 1870

This image clearly shows a front door at the front set back from some railings. That area was where the infant room was built, seemingly using the wall with the railings as a start for the building.

This photo is CDV (carte de visite) size and has a photographer’s name on the back.

The 1870 photographer

The 1870 photographer

The books about The Old School can be seen at the museum.