Posts Tagged ‘plan’

Pond Farm Camp in 1908

May 30, 2016

We have quite a few photos of Pond Farm Camp in the years prior to World War One. Here we have a plan of the camp as it was laid out in 1908.

Plan of layout of Pond Farm Camp in 1908

Plan of layout of Pond Farm Camp in 1908

 

This plan was copied from The Cavalry Journal (III) for 1908. Water for the camp was pumped from the well at the bottom left which was adjacent to the farm buildings. We can see just how important the horse was then with a large area set aside for grazing and rows of troughs. We can see the Field Post Office from which the men sent postcards back home and we can work out just where the camp was.

This document also shows the programme for the soldiers enjoying their summer camp.

image003

The activity programme for the men

This is a bit brief, but we can picture a lot of men coming down into the villages on those half holidays.

Market Place – 1914

December 26, 2014

We do not know who drew out this map, but it gives us a good idea of what our village Market Place was like 100 years ago. And that, of course, was nothing like it is today!

A plan of Market Lavington Market Place dated 1914

A plan of Market Lavington Market Place dated 1914

The added words tell a story. Let’s start with ‘The Market House’ – still standing. And yes, it is still standing but it is the only building shown surrounding the Market Place which is in situ in 2014. Buildings that front onto High Street are still there in most cases.

It is interesting to see that the hill down Northbrook from the Market Place was called St James’s Hill. We are tempted to say it is a name that hasn’t survived.

Alongside that hill in rather small writing it tells us we had ‘Doctor’s house – demolished 1920s.

Doctor Lush lived here

Doctor Lush lived here

The fire station was sited in a building that would have been closely adjacent to the current Co-op building.

The Fire Station opened onto High Street

The Fire Station opened onto High Street

Malt houses had been a major feature of Market Lavington but many had gone out of use by this time and other uses were being found.

image005

This area is now Rochelle Court

 

And for those of us for whom Sayer’s Bus Depot and Wordley’s mean nothing, in 2014 this area is Rochelle Court.

What a handy plan this is. It certainly helps us to understand what the Market Place was like in the past.

Grove Farm Plans

December 7, 2014

This plan has recently turned up at Market Lavington Museum. We do not know its origins, but it looks, perhaps, to have been part of some kind of school project display, produced by an adult. The plan shows the area we generally call Grove Farm.

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

A plan of Grove Farm, Market Lavington in about 1970

Just north of the main road we can see the main farm buildings. This is the area now occupied by the Community Hall. The map is not strictly accurate. The church and churchyard do not reach Parsonage Lane (the road running roughly north) by quite a long shot. For one thing, our museum is in that area.

We can see the site of chicken houses, the pumping station and an area sold for housing. That must be Canada Rise, just above Beechwood.

The plan is somewhat textured. An area near the top has hay stuck on it.

The plan came with a second sheet with added information.

image004

There’s slightly too much for one photo.

image006

And then there’s a cross section map.

image008

We are fairly confident this information dates from very close to 1970. Mr Ron Francis died in 1969 and Canada Rise was being constructed in 1971.

We also think it is a lovely record of a farm which has entirely vanished.

Plans for a church window

October 2, 2014

This is a story of an amazing bit of luck that brought an item home to Market Lavington. The item is a plan for a stained glass window in St Mary’s Church.

Plan for a stained glass window on the south side of St Mary's Church, Market Lavington

Plan for a stained glass window on the south side of St Mary’s Church, Market Lavington

We can see that this slightly foxed drawing shows detailed plans for the window on the south side of the church.. The plans were drawn up at the Whitefriars Glassworks in London. The window commemorated the life of the Hon. Louisa Hay who died in 1898.

There are very hard to read pencil notes around the plan. Here it is suggested that a man has been drawn instead of a woman.

Planner's notes around the drawing

Planner’s notes around the drawing

This picture was found in Ireland by the president of the Irish Antique Dealers’ Federation – Mr G H Stacpoole. That surname will be familiar to local readers for we have a steward, who is also a church warden, related closely to G H Stacpoole. And as a result, the plan was returned to England, to Market Lavington and can now be seen on display in our entrance room.

What a fantastic item – not only a work of art in its own but also an insight into the way church windows were designed.

And now let’s see the actual window in the church.

 

The actual window in St Mary's Church

The actual window in St Mary’s Church