Posts Tagged ‘shops’

The Co-op in times past

October 15, 2014

Today we have a postcard which shows a part of the High Street in times past. The card was posted in 1910.

Market Lavington High Street on a card posted in 1910

Market Lavington High Street on a card posted in 1910

If we start on the left we can see what was then and still is the butcher’s shop. The building just beyond that, with the arched underpass has been demolished and stood at the entrance to what we now call Woodland Yard. Further down the street we can see the dark looking sign for the Kings Arms pub – now converted into housing and beyond it, with the windows in the roof there is Red House. From then on we look into Church Street leading down to the building with the gable end facing the road which was another butcher’s shop back then.

The curvature of the road hides much of the right side of the street. We can see the light coloured building which is the present Co-op and beyond that was Alf Burgess’s shop which had his little photographic studio behind it.

Let’s look at some detail.

The weighbridge - just outside what is now Woodland Yard

The weighbridge – just outside what is now Woodland Yard

This is the weighbridge which stood outside that arch near the butcher’s shop. It appears to have writing cast into the weighing platform but I’m afraid we can’t make that out. Maybe a weighbridge expert can tell us more.

Below we show a part of what is now the Co-op. It appears to say, above the window, something like A R Hole and Sons. We have no record of this name or anything we can read it as. Once again, we seek enlightenment.

image005

For completeness, let’s look at the other side of the card which as the message written upside down just to make it a bit more awkward for the postman to read.

image007

We can see that Fred sent a brief message to his Ma – Mrs Claridge – on August 17th 1910. The card was posted in Market Lavington.

Church Street – 1910

February 18, 2014

In Market Lavington, Church Street and High Street run into one another. Church Street is really a western extension of the High Street. In past times, when Market Lavington was more a town than a village, there were plenty of shops and businesses lining Church Street. This picture dates from around 1910.

Market Lavington's Church Street in about 1910

Market Lavington’s Church Street in about 1910

If we start on the right, the sign that is partly in the photo was for Hopkins Ironmongery store which is now The Old Coach House. The next building we see was Merritt’s cycle shop at which they offer accommodation for cyclists.

The Merritts offered accommodation for cyclists

The Merritts offered accommodation for cyclists

Continuing towards the crossroads there were a range of shops – a butcher, a grocery store and parts of Mr Walton’s extensive retail outlet.

image004

Walton’s on the right and more Hopkins on the left

 Mr Walton was declaring something was ‘up to date’ on his main White Street shop. At the left side of the above extract from the whole picture there was another part of the Hopkins business. They called it ‘The Lighthouse’ and it was where they made acetylene gas.

Ladies displaying ankles!

Ladies displaying ankles!

These two ladies are standing outside what is now the Rectory. They look elegant and just a bit daring. They are displaying their ankles!

An early High Street Postcard

December 7, 2013

Today we have quite an early postcard showing the main street through Market Lavington. The picture dates from the very earliest part of the twentieth century.

Market Lavington High Street and into Church Street - early 20th century

Market Lavington High Street and into Church Street – early 20th century

On the immediate left we have what was then and still is the butchers. Back then it would have been Mr Eldin who owned the business. It could be him standing in the doorway.

image003

Is that Mr Eldin standing in the butcher’s doorway?

Just behind the butchers we have the carriage arch that once fronted what we now call Woodland Yard.

Beyond that entrance we can see the Kings Arms and then down onto Church Street.

The Kings Arms and on into Church Street

The Kings Arms and on into Church Street

The building at the far end of this picture was another butcher. Back then Mr Godfrey had it but Mr Pike took over fairly soon after.

On the right hand side of the whole picture we have what is now the Co-op.

image005

This is where the Co-op shop is now

Of course we can’t identify any of the people in the photo.