Posts Tagged ‘station’

Second World War Home Guard

March 7, 2013
Xharlie Spreadbury and Sid Mullings on the platform of Lavington Station during World War II

Charlie Spreadbury and Sid Mullings on the platform of Lavington Station during World War II

Here we see two fine soldiers, doing their duty for King and Country. The two men are Charlie Spreadbury on the left and Sid Mullings on the right. They are standing on the down platform of Lavington Station.

We know nothing about Mr Spreadbury, except that he was the company cook.

Sid Mullings, we know rather more about. He was born in about 1899, the son of William and Amelia. William was a basket maker, a trade which Sid followed him into. He was to be the last of a long line of Mullings family members to work in basket making.

In 1911 Sid lived with his parents and brother on The Clays, Market Lavington. Sid served in World War I. Indeed, he is wearing medals awarded to him for service in that conflict in the photo. We believe he served in the Machine Gun Corps.

Sid married Emily Perrett in 1924. In 1926 the couple lived on The Clay, possibly with Sid’s parents. Daughter, Margery was born that year.

In 1939 Sid and Emily are listed on the electoral roll on The Clays. Sid’s mother, Amelia was with them.

Sid died in 1973.

Lavington Station

June 21, 2011

The recent ‘Steamy Saturday’ post has led to a number of enquiries. People want to know just where Lavington Station was and what it looked like.

We featured the station on February 24th of this year and you can see that post by clicking here.

In that post a train, almost identical to the Castle Class train in 2011, was passing through the station.

It should be remembered that Lavington Station was not in the parish of Market Lavington for it served the whole area.

Lavington Station shown on a 1938 map

This map shows the station close by the place where the main Devizes to Salisbury road (coloured red on the map) crosses the railway shown in black and white. The station was fairly convenient (which probably meant, back in the 1960s, not quite convenient enough) for Easterton, The Lavingtons and the Cheverells. With changes in travel habits, a station in the area could be viable again.

Let’s find another picture of the station – we have several at the museum.

Lavington Station - a photo at Market Lavington Museum

This photo has some memories recorded on it:

Siding on right used for war department for off loading field guns for ‘Peels Positions’ (Tilshead) during 14 – 18 war. I remember seeing remains of a gun in which a shell had exploded half way down the barrel.

Milk churns were loaded into siphons from this bank and later it was used for loading milk tankers. The latter would run down by gravity, when the brakes were released towards the goods shed. The Weymouth train, timed to leave at 6.18 had to set back across the single slip to pick them up.

Sadly unrecorded is who wrote these memories

The station site, perhaps a little ironically, is now a scrap car yard. On Saturday our photographer talked to a person working there who had precisely the same memory of the milk tankers being collected by the up Weymouth train having to back down to the goods shed.

We wonder what became of the station memorabilia. There must have been the smaller station signs and we’d imagine the signal box would have had a lovely cast iron sign saying ‘LAVINGTON SIGNAL BOX’. Such items would make a fine gift to the museum.

Lavington Station in the 1950s

February 24, 2011

Lavington Station was in the parish of West Lavington, but it served a wider area including Market Lavington  and Easterton. We are happy to include railway items, related to Lavington Station at the museum.

Today we feature what is believed to be a rare image showing as it does, a steam train passing the platforms with a station name board in full view.

The Royal Duchy express train races through Lavington in the late 1950s - a photo at Market Lavington Museum

The station itself looks deserted, but then the train is clearly an express, indicated by the lamp over each of the buffers. It wasn’t going to stop at Lavington.

The engine was one of the larger express passenger engines designed by Mr C B Collett for the old Great Western railway. The engine is moving fast and is a bit blurred. Maybe an expert could tell us if the loco is a castle or a King class.

The train loco at speed but is it a Castle or a King?

The train itself was a named train – The Royal Duchy. In 1957, this  name was given to the 1.30pm train from Paddington to Penzance and the 11am in the reverse direction. The name survived into the diesel era.

The Lavington Station name board

Passengers probably hardly noticed Lavington, which still sported a GWR style name board, as the train rushed through.

Lavington Station

March 6, 2010

Lavington railway station is not in Market Lavington but it served the local community from its opening in 1900 until closure in 1966. Trains still race through, travelling between London and the Southwest of England.

Back in the 1920s and 30s, the old Great Western Railway ran weekend excursion trains to Lavington. The trains were met by a fleet of coaches – charabanc style – which took the travellers on to Stonehenge.

The coaches were supplied by the Lavington and Devizes company which was owned and run by Mr Sayer from the depot in Market Lavington market place.

A photo given to the museum shows the scene at Lavington Station on April 12th 1930. The train has arrived and is standing at the platform. The road up to the station is filled with Mr Sayer’s coaches and the travelling public are transferring on to them.

Lavington Station 12th April 1930

What a wonderful image portraying good times some 80 years ago.

The museum has many images of the railway which was one of the last main lines to be built – well into the photo taking era. Do come and visit the museum from May to October on Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday and Bank Holiday afternoons – or contact the curator to visit by arrangement at other times.