Posts Tagged ‘tea’

Lyons’ Tea

February 17, 2015

People who visit the museum do like to see things they might remember or might have used in their own home. Tins are always popular and amongst our collection is a Lyons’ Tea tin. Such tins are much loved and remembered by many older people.

Lyons' Tea tin, possibly 1920s or 30s

Lyons’ Tea tin, possibly 1920s or 30s

This was a useful item for a home to have because it could be refilled with loose tea for ever afterwards.

This tin dates from the first half of the 20th century as evidenced by its royal patron.

image004

Lyons’ Tea was used by the King

By appointment, purveyors to H. M. King of England. Why just England and not the United Kingdom, we can’t answer, but England and the rest of the UK had kings between 1901 and 1952 but we believe the tin is pre-war, perhaps dating from the 1920s or 30s.

It came to the museum from a Market Lavington resident.

Brooke Bond Tea

July 3, 2014

Bridget Brooke, who at one time lived at what was then called The Fives Court on Parsonage Lane, was a member of the Brooke family of Brooke Bond tea. In our museum we have a couple of portraits painted by Bridget. This one is of another local resident, Percy Wilkins.

image002

Percy Wilkins as painted by Bridget Brooke

But this blog, really, is about another advert from Harry Hobbs’ High Street shop. It is as you’ll be expecting, for Brooke Bond tea.

1956 advert for Brooke Bond Tea from Harry Hobb's shop on High Street in Market Lavington

1956 advert for Brooke Bond Tea from Harry Hobb’s shop on High Street in Market Lavington

This ad can be dated with some accuracy by our curator for the tea cards depicted are from the ‘Out into Space’ series. Rog collected this set as a lad at junior school. They were issued in 1956/58. As the ad does not refer to the PG Tips brand it probably dates from 1956. The advert has actual cards glued to the display.

The wasp wasted lady depicted appears to come from an earlier era though. Maybe this was an attempt to portray this brand of tea as time honoured and dependable.

Our advert has certainly become time honoured and dependable having been stored away for well over fifty years.

 

 

New Display – The Congregational Church

April 5, 2011

New displays are now taking shape at Market Lavington Museum – ready for opening on Sunday May 1st.

One display portrays something of the life of the Congregational Church.

There's a new display about the Congregational Church at Market Lavington Museum

This body of people set themselves up as the Independent church at the start of the nineteenth century. Soon, they were using the former Quaker Meeting House at the Easterton end of Market Lavington High Street. The group flourished and in 1892 a new church was opened, opposite the former Quaker room, which was retained for Sunday Schools. A vestry was added to the building in 1919.

The Sunday School building was sold off in 1968. A new, small hall was opened behind the church, which became known as The Powner Hall after Bertram Powner who was the Pastor at the time.

Various mergers have taken place. Nationally, the Congregational Church became the United Reformed Church in the 1970s. Then, locally, the Methodist congregations at both Easterton and Littleton Panell joined with the Market Lavington group with the three churches forming Trinity Church.

The 1892 building began to need quite extensive repair work and it was decided to move services to Market Lavington’s new Community Hall. The last service in the 1892 church took place in June 2008.

In 2010 the chapel building was sold by auction for conversion to a dwelling house. Trinity Church continues to meet in the Community Hall.

The church was not just about services and worship. Church members enjoyed a good social life as well, with outings to places like Bratton Tea Gardens, when transport was horse powered, or as far away as Weymouth when charabancs became available. Our display includes photos of some of the social occasions.

Cups of tea have been the backdrop to much social activity during the time the church has existed and we are delighted that a local lady saved a pair of the teapots used by church members and has just given them to the museum. They form a part of the display.

The newest acquisitions at the museum are the church teapots. They form part of the display

Cups and Saucers

March 18, 2011

Today we feature two elegant cups and saucers which date from the Victorian era. They are well travelled items.

Victorian cups and saucers which belonged to John Baker and his family.

These cups and saucers belonged to the Baker family who lived at the hardware shop which was next to Woodland Yard. John Baker was a tinsmith and also traded in enamel ware. After John died, some of the family emigrated to Canada in 1907 and valued possessions, including these items of crockery, went with them. The cups and saucers returned to Market Lavington in 1995, when a family member came to see the former family home.

These days most of us prefer mugs but it is possible to imagine our Victorian villagers enjoying tea from cups like this.

A cup and saucer, thought to date from about 1880