Posts Tagged ‘tithe map’

West Lavington Poor Rate Survey

April 9, 2016

image002

Now why do we have this elderly looking book- it dates from 1840 – about West Lavington? The answer is simple. Back at the time this book was produced the parish of West Lavington contained areas later transferred into Market Lavington. The main area was the one called Fiddington.

This book contains information about who owned what and who lived where in Fiddington.

Here’s a sample.

A sample list of plots and properties

A sample list of plots and properties

This section is all lumped together because it all belonged to one person and was occupied by one person. We can see the size of each plot and the total and the estimated rental value and rateable value are given. Across the double spread page we get the people concerned.

This tells us that this area was owned by William Davis and occupied by John Hayward at that time.

But just where is it all? Along with the book there is a map of the tithing of Fiddington and each plot is numbered. Our map has been annotated by an earlier owner so has the names of each plot pencilled on. So here we see a section of the map which is a long thin map to reflect the shape of Fiddington.

A small section of the associated tithe map

A small section of the associated tithe map

We can easily pick out plot 760 Dr Batter’s Hill which is the first plot named in the above extract. The whole map makes locations clear.

So a handy document which names each field. Potential visitors interested in more of West Lavington should note that we do not have the map but we have the values and occupiers of the properties.

Cumming’s Garden

January 13, 2016

From time to time the name Cummings crops up on this blog and here it is again, courtesy of a plot of land which was owned, in 1840, by the Right Hon. William Pleydell, Earl and in the possession of Thomas Fowle as shown on the tithe apportionment document.

Land owner and occupier

Land owner and occupier

The plot of land, along with others is listed below this.

These plots include Cumming's Garden

These plots include Cumming’s Garden

There we can see that plot 229 was known as Cumming’s Garden and it was just that = garden. The 229 refers to a numbered area on the tithe map so we can identify just where it was.

Plot 229 on the tithe map

Plot 229 on the tithe map

There we have plot 229 close by a house, but a little bit of large scale map like that doesn’t help much. So let’s zoom out.

A larger area to identify the location

A larger area to identify the location

The route going roughly North – South on the left of the map is what we now call Ledge Hill. The roughly East – West route is Kings Road it is crossed by what is now just a footpath known as Windmill Lane. The house we see is The Cherry Orchard – still there, but much enlarged.

Zooming out further we can see High Street and Church Street at the bottom of the map. Cherry Orchard is still visible near the top.

Cumming's Garden in relation to the centre of Market Lavington

Cumming’s Garden in relation to the centre of Market Lavington

What this doesn’t answer is who Cummings was. Maybe somebody out there can help. This is one of those occasions where the loss of our 1841 census really hurts us.

The Reverend Mayow Wynell Mayow

June 29, 2014

We met this gentleman yesterday in connection with a letter he wrote regarding a family emigrating from Market Lavington to Australia. With the name drawn to our attention, let’s find out some more starting with the list of vicars just inside the church.

The most recent Vicars at Market Lavington. The list is in the church.

The most recent Vicars at Market Lavington. The list is in the church.

We can see he was vicar between 1836 and 1860 – a run of 24 years.

In seeking information we come up with that regular snag. The 1841 census for Market Lavington has not survived. However, we have a copy of the tithe apportionment which was drawn up in 1840 and we can find Mayow listed on that.

A section of the 1840 tithe apportionment document

A section of the 1840 tithe apportionment document

From this we see that our Mayow occupied the church and yard himself, along with the Vicarage house and garden, a barn and yard and the Vicarage meadow as well as an area called The Brow. Other parts of his glebe lands had tenants in occupation.

Now the numbers refer to an area shown on a map. We do not have a map at the museum, but we have photographed the one at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

The centre of Market Lavington on the 1840 tithe map

The centre of Market Lavington on the 1840 tithe map

This part of what is a huge map shows the centre of Market Lavington. Plot 76, the church and yard is easily found for the church is a large building shaded in grey. The Vicarage shown (number 123) is now a part of the Nursing Home and is near the right hand end of this piece of map. It has plot 124, the barn and yard next to it and the Vicarage meadow (126) behind it stretching away to the Northbrook Stream. The Brow is an area behind that, rising up onto the sandstone slope above the Northbrook.

So from the 1840s we know where Mayow Wynell Mayow lived but we know nothing about him or his family.

Fortunately, there is an 1851 census. This shows Mayow as Vicar of Market (or East) Lavington. He had been born in London in about 1811 and had married, locally, Caroline Kate Smith who had been born around 1825 in Oxfordshire. The couple married in 1846. By 1851 they had three children, Elizabeth Ursula was three, Philip Stafford was two and the young Mayow Wynell was one.

The Reverend Mayow left Market Lavington. In 1861 there were three more children, all born in Market Lavington, but the family were in Kensington. In 1871 four children were at home, which was now Brighton, although Mayow was rector of South Heighton and Tarring Neville – both near Newhaven in Sussex.

In 1881 the family had moved to Halstead in Kent. Mayow, now about 70 was still the rector in that Kent village.

In 1891 Mayow seems to be alone, living in the Southampton area. He died in that area in 1894.

Interestingly, Caroline who seemed to drop off the radar can be found in Rowde near Devizes in 1911. The actual address is Braeside, Devizes. Her widowed daughter, Market Lavington born Elizabeth Ursula is with her.

Caroline died in 1912.