Posts Tagged ‘wedding’

Just Married

June 17, 2013

For many of us, ‘Just Married’ was something that got lipsticked onto the back window of your car before you could drive away from your wedding reception. Along with that, people tied tin cans to the car so it made a noise which drew huge attention to it.

These days people don’t seem to drive away from weddings in their own car. There are usually two receptions and it is late at night before the celebrations end, so that tradition has become a thing of the past. And when the wedding we show took place, so few people had cars that the tradition had not even started.

The just married couple we see today celebrated their nuptials in the spring of 1934 and was between Miss Dorothy May Burbidge and Mr Ernest Hill. Here we see the ‘just married’ couple leaving Market Lavington Church.

Mr and Mrs Ernest Hill (Mrs Hill was born as Miss Burbidge) leave Market Lavington Church after their 1934 wedding.

Mr and Mrs Ernest Hill (Mrs Hill was born as Miss Burbidge) leave Market Lavington Church after their 1934 wedding.

Dorrie, as she was known, had not come far for her parents and sister (she was bridesmaid) lived in a cottage adjacent to the churchyard – the cottage that is now Market Lavington Museum. Ernest had come a little further, for his family came from the Littleton Panell area of West Lavington. Dorrie had actually lived in Bristol for some years where she worked as a telephonist. Ernest worked for a Somerset company.

They weren’t going far either, for the reception was held at The New Inn which is now called The Drummer Boy and is opposite the church.

Later the couple left for a honeymoon in Devon. We guess they went by train and Devon was easy enough to reach from Lavington Station.

They made their home in Bristol but were regular visitors to the Lavington area.

In the Museum – in 1987

March 20, 2013

In 1987 our museum was young. No doubt, at the time, it seemed as vibrant and lively as we think it is today. But a look at a photo taken at that time makes it look quite an empty environment. Mind you, there are advantages to that. Less items on display means the things can be seen better. However, this photo also shows something of a cyclical nature. One item that was on display in 1987 has been stored away since then, but, as we saw on yesterday’s blog, it has re-emerged for 2013. It was clearly time for an airing.

In Market Lavington Museum in 1987

In Market Lavington Museum in 1987

Yes, back in 1987 the 1906 wedding dress and veil were on display. The mannequin it was on is the same one shown in yesterday’s blog – the one from Mrs McKinstry’s shop in Market Lavington. We see that the fan held by the bride is displayed behind her.

In the middle of the room is the school desk. This early 20th century desk was used at Market Lavington School and would have had drawers then. Back in 1987 it was displaying items used at the school.

A Market Lavington School desk of the early twentieth century. It can still be seen at the museum.

A Market Lavington School desk of the early twentieth century. It can still be seen at the museum.

Of course, we still have the desk but these days its use has become rather more functional. It houses all sorts of written and photographic items – folders about different aspects of Market Lavington and Easterton.

The display case we see in the background is now in the trades room. None of the shelving or cabinets we now have in the museum can be seen in this photo.

These days we have items on display on this side of the stairway, and the wall behind the stairway is covered in exhibits.

When we look at a photo like this one it is clear that the museum has developed hugely over the intervening period.

But that bride is back again to represent marriage in 1906.

I’m getting married – in 1906

March 19, 2013

In less than two months our museum, preserving the heritage of Market Lavington and Easterton, will be open for the 2013 season. The team have been at work preparing and once again our mannequins have been re-dressed with a new theme. This year it is all early 20th century. This young lady, still to have hands attached, is wearing a 1906 wedding costume.

image002

Here we have an ecru silk wedding outfit in two parts – skirt and bodice. It has elaborate lace panels and a flared, frilled skirt. At some point its sleeves have been removed. The veil in net and lace was worn by the same bride to the same wedding.

The mannequin itself is not period. This came from Mrs McKinstry’s shop which was on the corner of High Street and White Street. She dates from the 1950s.

The bride for this wedding also wore a petticoat which we have (and which will be displayed elsewhere this year) which has a name tag ‘Cox’. She also carried a fan.

Sadly, despite best endeavours, we are not able to trace who the bride was. It would be good to have a photo of the actual event so, if anybody has any ideas, do get in touch.

That Robin Burgess Wedding again

March 15, 2013

Not forgetting Elizabeth Burgess

It is probably not surprising that the village photographer’s wedding was well photographed. Here we have what may have been the full set of guests

The groom and bride we have met before. Robin (whose name was actually Robert) Burgess was the son of Alf and he took over the photography business, with brother George in 1918. Elizabeth (known as Nellie or Queenie) was a Burnett from Easterton.

The wedding of Robin Burgess and Nelli Burnett took place at Easterton Church

The wedding of Robin Burgess and Nellie Burnett took place at Easterton Church

The wedding, in 1921, took place in Easterton. The Reverend King officiated and is one of the guests shown in this photo taken in a cottage garden in Easterton.

Reverend King of Easterton was one of the guests

Reverend King of Easterton was one of the guests

This is the only picture that we have of Reverend King. His name lives on in ‘Kings Road’ for it was this good chap who managed to get the road surfaced. It was important to him as it linked his vicarage with his church, in one direction and Devizes in the other.

It isn’t a wonderful picture. Has anyone out there got a better one?

Linking families in Easterton and Market Lavington

February 26, 2013

Although Easterton always seems to have had a separate identity from Market Lavington, up until 1874 they were one and the same parish. By 1921, when Robert (known as Robin) Burgess married Elizabeth (known as Bessie or Queenie) Burnett, the villages had been separate parishes for over forty years. But of course, they were neighbours and it would be expected that people from one parish would marry partners from the other one. This wedding is a case in point.

image002

Here we see the bride, Queenie, in her calf length wedding dress. She appears to be head to toe in white. Robin looks every inch the dapper young man in his smart suit with carnation, his pale tie and jaunty trilby hat.

We do not have the names of other people but we are confident that the older lady on the right is Marion Burgess, the widowed mother of the groom. The gentleman third from left and the one next to Robin certainly have the look of Burgesses.

Perhaps the older couple on the left are Queenie’s parents, Henry and Beatrice Burnett. Maybe the other two men are Burnetts. A comparison can be made with a Burnett family photo here.

We are not sure who the other women are.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

A Market Lavington Wedding in 1900

February 24, 2013

A few days ago we looked at Wilsons at the Vicarage and in particular the life of Violet Wilson who spent virtually her entire childhood under the guardianship of her uncle and aunt, The Reverend Edward Blackston Cokaybe Frith and his wife, Maria. They lived at the Vicarage in Market Lavington which is now incorporated into the nursing home.

Since writing that a picture has arrived for us, at the museum, showing some of the wedding party when Violet married Harry Jones.

Wedding party at the marriage of Violet Wilson and Harold Jones in 1900. The photo was taken at The Vicarage, Market Lavington.

Wedding party at the marriage of Violet Wilson and Harold Jones in 1900. The photo was taken at The Vicarage, Market Lavington.

This picture was taken at Market Lavington Vicarage. The happy couple sit in the middle on a garden bench which appears in other photos we have of the building.

The man at top left is the Reverend Frith, vicar of Market Lavington and Uncle of the bride. We guess that the lady standing behind the couple is Maria Frith, the bride’s aunt. They were the blood relatives. The bride’s mother, who died giving birth to her, was Maria’s sister.

We can guess that the two bridesmaids are the sisters of the bride, Renee and Fanny Wilson who were also brought up by their aunt and uncle. We have no name for the other man.

Of course, if anybody can add anything, we’d be delighted to hear from them.

William Bones and Connie Merritt

June 11, 2012

The wedding of Connie Merritt to William Bones took place in 1913

Wedding photo for William Bones of Devizes and Connie Merritt of Market Lavington

William was a Devizes lad. His father was a watchmaker on Maryport Street. William was born in about 1882. By the time of the 1901 census, when William was 19, he worked at a tobacco factory in Devizes.

By 1911. William was a correspondence clerk for a dairy company.

Constance Emily Merritt was born in 1891. Her father, John Hampton Merritt was a blacksmith who moved into the growing field of the bicycle. The 1891 census enumerator may have got in a muddle, for he has the baby’s name as Mary Ann. Or maybe John and his wife Annie changed their minds about the  name for Constance was less than a month old.. The family lived on High Street in Market Lavington.

By 1901 Constance had been joined by her two sisters and the family had moved to Church Street. Dad was now a cycle agent, but he is best remembered in the village as leader of the Prize Band – a position he held for more than 60 years.

In 1911 Constance was aged 20, living with her parents on Church Street, Market Lavington, and working as a Lady’s Help.

We do not know where the Bones family moved to, but an Arthur Bones was born in the Melksham area in 1924. His mother’s maiden name was Merritt.

William’s death was registered in the Trowbridge district in 1969. Constance lived until 1974. Her death was also registered in Trowbridge.

For Mrs Elisha’s Photo Album

January 25, 2012

Back in the summer of 2010 we looked at some photographic negatives we had at Market Lavington Museum. We are returning to these negatives today – they might have been – probably were – used to produce a photo album for Mrs Elisha.

We looked at the outside of a processor’s envelope back then. Today we look at the inside.

Part of a 1929 negative wallet

We can see the negatives peeping

Photograhy has, of course, changed out of all recognition. We are now in the digital era and  enlargements are so easy. Even enlarging the old negatives which we see peeping in the wallet, is relatively straight forward. These are big enough to scan and then software can convert the negative to a positive.

Some of these images were taken at the wedding of May Potter to Bill Elisha in 1929.

Bill Elisha and May Potter married in Market Lavington in 1929

We have Bill and May in the middle here with a couple of young bridesmaids who were May’s nieces. We do not know who the other folks are. Maybe you can help us.

Another photo of Bill and May Elisha's Market Lavington wedding

Do email if you can name any of the people here.

A Market Lavington Wedding

June 4, 2011
Today we feature a wedding which started off at the museum building.

The bride was Doris (Dorrie) Burbidge whose home had been the museum building and, although she had moved away, her parents still lived there so that was where she was married from. Here we see Dorrie and her father, Alf, setting off from their cottage to the church – which was, of course, the next door building.

Dorrie Burbidge and her father, Alf, set off from the museum building for the church to celebrate Dorrie's wedding in 1934

Alf looks very dapper in his suit and bowler hat and Dorrie, of course, looks lovely in her wedding dress. The wedding took place in the spring of 1934. The Burbidge family kept, but didn’t date, a newspaper cutting. In those pre-colour photography days, the reporter could be more expansive describing the colours of the scene.

The New Inn, where the reception was held  still exists but it was renamed The Drummer Boy in about 1970.

This was a truly village wedding with those involved having very short journeys from the museum building to the Church, and then across Church Street to the reception.

A Diamond Wedding

April 4, 2011

A letter at Market Lavington Museum indicates that a diamond wedding took place.

Letter from Hebe Pike to her whist playing friends, thanking them for a diamond wedding anniversary present. The letter is at Market Lavington Museum

Hebe Price, who wrote the letter, was born in Easterton in about 1872. Her family were probably reasonably prosperous for at the time of the 1881 census her father Richard was farming 70 acres and employing two men. Mind you, Richard and wife Elizabeth did have seven children to feed and the oldest two may well have been the men employed on the farm. All of the children, like their mother, had been born in Easterton.

John Pike (his forename of Edmond didn’t seem to be used) was a couple of years older than Hebe and was born in Chitterne but by 1881 the Pikes had moved to Easterton where father Sidney carried on his trade as a wheelwright and carpenter. He and wife Harriet had six children at home. Perhaps Harriet’s father, John Trowbridge brought some money to the household, for he was there as well.

John and Hebe married in January 1889 and in 1891 they lived on Oak Lane in Easterton with one-year-old son, Sidney. John, like his father before him, was a wheelwright.

In 1901 The Pikes lived at Coulston. John was a wheelwright working on his own account. He and Hebe now had four boys.

By 1911 John, Hebe and two boys were living in Market Lavington. John’s occupation was given as a carpenter.

The 1926 electoral register which we hold at Market Lavington Museum shows the Pikes living along High Street in Market Lavington. So, too, does the similar register for 1939.

As we saw in the letter, the couple celebrated 60 years of marriage in 1949.

Hebe died in 1953 and was buried in the churchyard at St Mary’s, Market Lavington on the 14th May.

Edmund John Price died in 1955. We have no record of where he was buried.