Posts Tagged ‘wine’

A Wine Flagon

September 12, 2013

Here we have another new acquisition at Market Lavington Museum.

This wine flagon was given to the museum by a White Street resident who recently moved to smaller accommodation in Devizes after 74 years of being a Market Lavington resident.

We are still trying to trace the history and origins of this item.

A wine flagon embossed with Stagg Lavington

A wine flagon embossed with Stagg Lavington

It is a wine flagon or jar of a type which may be called ‘half glazed. The writing on the jar is clear.

image004

We need help tracing Stagg

Stagg, Wine Merchant of Lavington.

Our difficulty is that we can’t trace a Stagg in Lavington but we have found Staggs who were born in the village. Stagg is not a common name in this part of Wiltshire and is much more common to the East of the Pewsey area.

We know a Thomas Stagg was baptised in Market Lavington in 1824. His parents were Thomas and Eliza and they appear to have been farmers at Bedwyn. A Thomas Stagg is listed as the owner of a Market Lavington house and garden on the 1840 tithe apportionment document. He did not occupy this property.

An Eliza and a Thomas Stagg were born in Market Lavington in 1855/56. Thomas, the father, died in 1856. He, at the moment, is our only bet for who the wine merchant was who had this flagon.

Based on that, we date the flagon to the early 1850s.

But can you tell us anything better or different? If so we’d be delighted to know about it.

A sack bottle

April 25, 2011

Amongst what we call ‘The Treasures of Market Lavington’ is this rather odd looking bottle.

An 18th century sack bottle found during road works at Northbrook, market Lavington in the 1930s

This was an object, considered so worthless that was thrown away. Presumably the damage around the neck of the bottle made it unfit for purpose.  It is classed as a sack bottle. Sack was a name given to some wines. It is believed that sack is a corruption of sec – a dry wine.

This bottle dates from the early 18th century and came to light when road works were carried out at Northbrook in the 1930s.

Pairs of similar bottles have been found built into house walls. People believed this would ward off ill luck.